Opening and reading PDF files in Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I have look at pdf files from a certain website everyday. I do NOT want to download them, as I do not need to keep them. I want them to OPEN in Adobe NOT in Edge. Every piece of info i see tells me how to download them to my pc and then open so they dont automatically open in Edge. I DO NOT want to download them. Is there a way to do this? This is a real pain in the *ss.
Opening and reading PDF files in Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
I forgot to say make sure that your Adobe Acrobat Pro is your Default PDF viewer for Windows.
If your solution works then it is OK for those that want to go throught the manual steps. The solution that I put forward almost a year ago is still working solid even on W11 across the thousands of computers our company supports. It is also a solution that can run also from a simple script to fix any computer instantly. Look for the details on the first page of this thread for: "DaveG_SDX Replied on November 30, 2022"
All the solutions require that you actually have edge. I blew that garbage away, but every time try to grab a pdf online it tries to open in edge, which ofc does not work. HOW TF DO YOU GET PDFS TO DOWNLOAD NORMALLY, WITHOUT USING GARBAGE EDGE?
And don't tell me to install edge again. That junk is blocked at the network level.
Microsoft, you are cruising for a class action lawsuit so f'ing fast...
I believe your issue is because MS Edge is set as your default PDF Viewer. From Windows Start Menu select Settings > Apps > Default Apps. Scroll to the bottom of page to Related Settings, then Select Choose defaults by file type. Scroll down until you see .pdf . In your case it will probably show MS Edge as default. Click on white area to open the program selection setting. Then choose your preferred PDF viewer you have already installed on your system.
Hi there,
I had the same problem with you. No matter how many times I changed the file association for .pdf files to Adobe Acrobat Reader, Edge would hijack the association regularly. Sometimes, it would be less than two minutes before Edge disregarded my settings and took over the file association. I guess Microsoft wants us to use Edge really bad!
All the solutions I could find (mostly changes in registry) did not work. So I turned the tables on Edge. In the registry key Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSEdgePDF I changed the application path from Edge to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe (or wherever your Acrobat application resides). Now, I have Edge as the file association, but Acrobat as the application.