open pdf files in Adobe NOT EDGE without having to download them

Anonymous
2022-07-27T16:28:55+00:00

I have look at pdf files from a certain website everyday. I do NOT want to download them, as I do not need to keep them. I want them to OPEN in Adobe NOT in Edge. Every piece of info i see tells me how to download them to my pc and then open so they dont automatically open in Edge. I DO NOT want to download them. Is there a way to do this? This is a real pain in the *ss.

Microsoft Edge | Read PDFs | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

33 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-04-12T13:58:12+00:00

    If you want to backup a copy of your profile data and restore in the future, you can do some Google searching on this topic. I know there are good articles out there. If you can figure out which Profile folder corresponds to the one you want to save\backup, then you can restore these files by overwriting the old ones. Your Edge profile data is stored in your Windows profile folders beginning with:

    C:\Users{user name}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\

    This is the default profile root folder that Edge uses when you first launch it. Then any user profiles you create afterwards are stored in a numbered subfolder in that same location called "Profile n". Each profile has a number regardless if you named it somehting else in the interface. The folder structure within is similar to the original default profile structure.

    NOTE: "AppData" is a hidden folder that you need to make visible from the File Explorer View menu. Some files like the one that store your boomarks or preferences do not have a file extension.

    You can for example, save a copy of the "Preferences" for future restoration. You can also save your "Bookmarks.*" files if you have bookmarks on a profile that is not connected to an online account. If your profiles are connected to an online synced account then I just let my bookmarks back when the sync is initiated. I'm not an expert at messing around with those files so again, I would refer you to the many experts that have written about it on the internet. I just wanted to bring some awareness of another possiblilty.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-05-24T14:37:50+00:00

    It does download on other browsers, but it happens in the background. The difference with Firefox is that it automatically opens in your default PDF application.

    We should not have to click "open" in Edge. I need this as well. I want the default behavior to be like Firefox.

    I open MANY pdf files from the web all day long at work. I can't be bothered to click "open".

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-06-01T07:38:39+00:00

    I HAVE UNCHECKED THIS ALWAYS DOWNLOAD PDF FILES AND THE FILES ARE STILL BEING DOWNLOADED AND NOT OPENED IN EDGE THE DEFAULT BROWSER. WHAT ELSE TO DO

    THANKS

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-07-03T17:25:55+00:00

    This works!!! Thank you TheVulpineAce!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-07-19T17:05:01+00:00

    Have you try to download the acrobat extension? that works for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments