open pdf files in Adobe NOT EDGE without having to download them

Anonymous
2022-07-27T16:28:55+00:00

I have look at pdf files from a certain website everyday. I do NOT want to download them, as I do not need to keep them. I want them to OPEN in Adobe NOT in Edge. Every piece of info i see tells me how to download them to my pc and then open so they dont automatically open in Edge. I DO NOT want to download them. Is there a way to do this? This is a real pain in the *ss.

Microsoft Edge | Read PDFs | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

33 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-07-27T17:10:45+00:00

    Hello jkhcast, welcome to the Microsoft community, I'll be happy to help you today;

    Initially I suggest that you set the Adobe application to open .PDF files;

    Press Windows key + i and go to Applications;

    Click Default Applications;

    Click Choose default apps by file type;

    Click on .PDF and change the application to Adobe Reader;

    Now open Edge and go to Settings;

    Click Cookies and site permissions in the menu on the left of the screen;

    Scroll down and click on PDF Documents;

    Uncheck "Always download PDF files";

    Check the "PDF display settings" option;

    Make sure Edge still opens and downloads PDF files;

    Hope it works, see you soon!

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-07-27T21:30:17+00:00

    I have already tried these settings. Either i have 'download' checked in which case they download which i do not want. Or if i uncheck it, the pdf opens in edge, which i also do not want. all i want is to OPEN the file in adobe so i can look at it. I do not want to download or save or anything except open it in ADOBE. Is there no way to do this with edge? i can do it fine with Firefox. Why does microsoft always have to screw things up.

    Was this answer helpful?

    60+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-07-28T13:53:51+00:00

    Dear jkhcast,if you are using Edge, the PDF file will open in Edge;

    But if you uncheck the option "Always download PDF files" it will only be opened in Edge and will not be downloaded;

    In order for PDF files not to be opened by Edge you will have to use another browser;

    See you soon!

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-09-06T15:49:09+00:00

    To avoid having the PDF open in Edge, you must check "Always download PDF files". The PDF has to be transmitted (downloaded) to your PC one way or another. If you let Edge open the PDF, it still downloads the PDF but (depending on your settings) stores it in OneDrive/Pictures instead of the Downloads folder.

    Once the download occurs, you can click the PDF in the download dropdown and it will open the PDF in Acrobat.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-09-06T18:59:59+00:00

    and again, i DONT have to download the PDF in other browsers. In Firefox I can have it open in ADOBE automatically without opening in Firefox, or Downloading to my PC. So another reason not to use EDGE.

    thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    60+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments