Opening and reading PDF files in Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I have look at pdf files from a certain website everyday. I do NOT want to download them, as I do not need to keep them. I want them to OPEN in Adobe NOT in Edge. Every piece of info i see tells me how to download them to my pc and then open so they dont automatically open in Edge. I DO NOT want to download them. Is there a way to do this? This is a real pain in the *ss.
Opening and reading PDF files in Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
I HAVE UNCHECKED THIS ALWAYS DOWNLOAD PDF FILES AND THE FILES ARE STILL BEING DOWNLOADED AND NOT OPENED IN EDGE THE DEFAULT BROWSER. WHAT ELSE TO DO
THANKS
It does download on other browsers, but it happens in the background. The difference with Firefox is that it automatically opens in your default PDF application.
We should not have to click "open" in Edge. I need this as well. I want the default behavior to be like Firefox.
I open MANY pdf files from the web all day long at work. I can't be bothered to click "open".
If you want to backup a copy of your profile data and restore in the future, you can do some Google searching on this topic. I know there are good articles out there. If you can figure out which Profile folder corresponds to the one you want to save\backup, then you can restore these files by overwriting the old ones. Your Edge profile data is stored in your Windows profile folders beginning with:
C:\Users{user name}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\
This is the default profile root folder that Edge uses when you first launch it. Then any user profiles you create afterwards are stored in a numbered subfolder in that same location called "Profile n". Each profile has a number regardless if you named it somehting else in the interface. The folder structure within is similar to the original default profile structure.
NOTE: "AppData" is a hidden folder that you need to make visible from the File Explorer View menu. Some files like the one that store your boomarks or preferences do not have a file extension.
You can for example, save a copy of the "Preferences" for future restoration. You can also save your "Bookmarks.*" files if you have bookmarks on a profile that is not connected to an online account. If your profiles are connected to an online synced account then I just let my bookmarks back when the sync is initiated. I'm not an expert at messing around with those files so again, I would refer you to the many experts that have written about it on the internet. I just wanted to bring some awareness of another possiblilty.
This was helpful to me. I was looking for the "always use external". But MS Edge and even other browsers seem to move and change where things are. I accidentally removed a profile on Edge at work and I did not realize it was going to lose all my settings, including opening pdfs outside of Edge. And I remembered there being some option to "always open with system viewer" too, but I could not readily find it. So, they kind of hid it by making you right click in the download icon. I did not think to try that at all. I also lost all my saved passwords, that is a bigger problem. :-)
Thank you for the answer that helped me.
That might work for manually configuring a machine via the Windows interface. The steps I presented were mainly for IT administrators who need to remotely push a solutuon to all company computers; and this it is a solution that works for all user profiles on each computer. Deleting a registry key with a script is far simpler and easy solution for remote deployment to many computers, or simply anyone who wants to have a quick and easy automated solution to restore their individual computers in the future without the need to navigate the Windows interface.