Opening and reading PDF files in Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I have look at pdf files from a certain website everyday. I do NOT want to download them, as I do not need to keep them. I want them to OPEN in Adobe NOT in Edge. Every piece of info i see tells me how to download them to my pc and then open so they dont automatically open in Edge. I DO NOT want to download them. Is there a way to do this? This is a real pain in the *ss.
Opening and reading PDF files in Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
I have the same problem
The only solution I found is to set the page with IE MODE
The problem is that it has other disadvantages
Windows Default app for opening PDF's is already set as Adobe.
Both Chrome and Edge browsers are toggled OFF for always download
Yet, every time I open a PDF from online or my business system, it downloads instead of viewing.
This is a change. This is new. Worked fine forever prior to a few months ago.
Is there a resolution?
I read everything I could find online, but seemed like loops with no outcome that works.
Is there a way to have Edge open the pdf in acrobat for edge version?
Hi there,
I had the same problem with you. No matter how many times I changed the file association for .pdf files to Adobe Acrobat Reader, Edge would hijack the association regularly. Sometimes, it would be less than two minutes before Edge disregarded my settings and took over the file association. I guess Microsoft wants us to use Edge really bad!
All the solutions I could find (mostly changes in registry) did not work. So I turned the tables on Edge. In the registry key Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSEdgePDF I changed the application path from Edge to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe (or wherever your Acrobat application resides). Now, I have Edge as the file association, but Acrobat as the application.
I believe your issue is because MS Edge is set as your default PDF Viewer. From Windows Start Menu select Settings > Apps > Default Apps. Scroll to the bottom of page to Related Settings, then Select Choose defaults by file type. Scroll down until you see .pdf . In your case it will probably show MS Edge as default. Click on white area to open the program selection setting. Then choose your preferred PDF viewer you have already installed on your system.