I had a personal account, my husband has family account I want to join the family but had to cancel personal first, but it does not show on my page that i am linked to the family subscription

Gail Mercer 25 Reputation points
2025-07-07T17:28:18.2533333+00:00

I turned off recurring billing, now it keeps warning me I will lose access 8/1/25

why doesn't the family subscription show active? I accepted the invitation

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For business | Windows
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-07-08T04:30:21.9566667+00:00

Hi Gail Mercer

Welcome to Microsoft Q&A Forum. Thanks for reaching out and sharing your issue.

I understand the confusion you're experiencing with your Microsoft 365 subscription status after moving from a Personal plan to a Family subscription shared by your husband.

A Microsoft account cannot hold both a Personal and a Family license at the same time. If your account previously had a Microsoft 365 Personal subscription, that license must fully expire or be cancelled before the Family license becomes active. You’ve made the right move by cancelling the Personal subscription first.

When transitioning from Microsoft 365 Personal to a Family plan, there are a few key factors to keep in mind. To help ensure everything is set up correctly and your access is uninterrupted, please review the following steps:

  • Please ensure that you accepted the Family invitation using the correct Microsoft account and email address. Then sign in Microsoft account and re-check if the Family subscription appears. It should say something like: “Shared by [your husband’s name]” under Microsoft 365. 
  • If it does not appear, kindly ask your husband to verify the sharing status at Microsoft Family. Please note that Microsoft 365 Family supports up to 5 additional users (6 in total including the owner).
  • If you've recently accepted the invitation and everything is set up correctly, you may consider waiting up to 24 hours for the system to apply the new license and reflect the change in your account. 

During this time, you may temporarily see alerts (e.g., “You’ll lose access on 8/1/25”).

If the issue still persists, it is essential to ask your husband:

If I misunderstand your issue, please provide me with further specifics or screenshots. I truly appreciate your patience and understanding. Hope the details provided will assist you effectively.


If the answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".

Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.

6 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Laurie Gustafson 0 Reputation points
    2025-12-17T23:30:53.0533333+00:00

    I have a similar issue. I cancelled a trial subscription so I can join the family subscription. I accepted the invitation and it shows that I have an active 365 subscription managed by my husband. However, when I try to use Microsoft Word, I get a pop up that my free trial has expired. How do I reconcile the two?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Irene Cole 40 Reputation points
    2025-11-21T00:56:59.13+00:00

    Why can't I just delete the microsoft Office software from my computer and then accept the invitation sent to my email address? My computer says I am the organizer in Microsoft Family Safety, and my Husband's says he is the organizer. How do we correct all of this? Is there an actual person we can speak with?

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.