Error 0xc000142

Kelsey Holdt 0 Reputation points
2025-07-05T08:56:22.22+00:00

Good Day, I need help. Everything was working great for the past years. When I turn on my laptop and try to open Outlook, Word, or Excel, it says 'Application Error'. I tried the quick repair and online repair. also error. If I need to reinstall, I lose all my work and calendar items. can't back up, because I can't open outlook to back up. Please help.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For business | Windows

Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-07-05T10:11:24.41+00:00

    The error code 0xC0000142 (STATUS_DLL_INIT_FAILED) means:

    {DLL Initialization Failed} Initialization of the dynamic link library %hs failed. The process is terminating abnormally.

    We must determine the DLL file causing the problem. Please run a Procmon trace and share the log file on OneDrive or GoFile.io.

    1. Download Process Monitor: http://live.sysinternals.com/procmon.exe
    2. Launch Process Monitor.
    3. Reset the filter options and click OK.
    4. If tracing does not start automatically, press Ctrl+E.
    5. Start an Office app and let it throw the error 0xC0000142.
    6. Now, switch to Process Monitor and stop tracing (Ctrl+E).
    7. Save "All Events" in a PML log file.
    8. Zip the log file and upload it. Zipping it reduces the size by 90%.
    9. Share the zipped file on OneDrive or GoFile.io and post the link here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Kevin Kelly 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-05T10:08:43.12+00:00

    Hi, I followed the instructions, a year on this issue is still occurring with no easy fix. Here is the link to my process monitoring event file https://gofile.io/d/GBt4NdjR please get back to me if you can. Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?