I have a Surface Pro 4, Microsoft Multiport Docking Station, 2 external monitors (one a 27" HP, the other a 24" Acer). I am using a pair of Mini Port to HDMI adapters with HDMI cables going to the monitors. Had tons of flickering and lots of pain trying to get the external monitors to both work at the same time...until I shut the Surface's keyboard (turning off the Surface's display screen.). Both monitors popped up and are running as solid as on my old desktop. I have not been able to get more than one external monitor working when the Surface's display is on, could this be because of a lack of display memory? Anyway, hope this helps someone.
Surface Pro 4 - Multiple Monitors
Journal of trying to get multiple monitors to work with Surface Pro 4 and the Microsoft Docking station.
Any input along the way would be helpful.
Trying to get Dual monitors to work - lessons learned so far:
- I tried to buy a Monoprice VGA to MiniDisplay Port (MDP) cables. This resulted in flickering Screens. Supposedly because they are passive and not active adapters. I purchased Microsoft adapters: VGA to MDP and HDMI to MDP. This got rid of the flickering but I'm having trouble with using this combo.
Today I tried VGA into docking station and HDMI into docking station with no success.
Tried VGA to dock and HDMI directly to surface with no success.
Vice-versa, no success.
Yesterday VGA to Surface and HDMI to Dock worked fine.
I should note that I remove the surface just about every day.
UPDATE:
I have the Microsoft dock (multiport). It supports 2 monitors that are VGA to MiniDisplayport. The adapter is by Microsoft. This works good. I have a third monitor that I bout a Plugable VGA to USB adapter for and this also works well (actually better than the dock). The pluggable adapter eats up some RAM as the SP4 graphics card can only support 2 monitors, but I have a fair amount of RAM.
Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
3 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2017-01-22T03:34:50+00:00 -
Anonymous
2016-05-05T00:43:03+00:00 Brand new Surface Pro4 with Surface Dock. I bought 2 Dell 2414's. No HDMI input on them. My mistake. Got the recommended goFanco MiniDisplay to DVI. No issues - the displays look great. My next task is to figure our how to have just the Dell displays running with the Pro4 lid closed and off to the side. I am accustomed to working with just the primary monitors and do not want to deal with the mouse issues with 3 desktops.
-
Anonymous
2016-08-11T22:53:34+00:00 I am using the Surface Pro 4 Dock with a Surface Pro 3, with wireless mouse and dual monitors. What worked for me is closing the cover on my Surface, then moving the mouse in circles. "Autorotate On" pops up in the left corner of the primary external monitor before it goes blank. I then move the mouse in a few circles & the display returns.