SharePoint Online to Microsoft Purview

Anonymous
2025-06-26T07:56:07.2033333+00:00

Hi,

I would like to clarify the current capabilities regarding the integration between SharePoint Online and Microsoft Purview. As far as I understand, SharePoint Online files currently have limited direct integration with Purview. Some functionalities are available through M365 Information Protection and Defender for Cloud Apps, but I would like to specifically ask:

Is it currently possible to directly connect SharePoint Online to Microsoft Purview for automated metadata scanning, including version history and extracting data lineage for the files stored in SharePoint?

If this is not currently supported, is there a roadmap or any planned development for this capability?

I would appreciate your guidance and any additional documentation you could share.

Thank you in advance.

Microsoft 365 and Office | SharePoint | Development
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Jayden-P 26,280 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
2025-06-26T10:55:26.01+00:00

Hi @earslan3e

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Q&A forum. 

Based on the information you have provided, looks like you want to directly connect SharePoint Online to Microsoft Purview to do tasks.

Unfortunately, this option is currently not supported.

I did some research and there aren't any plans or roadmaps for this capability.

You can track Microsoft future plans at Microsoft 365 Roadmap | Microsoft 365

If you think this feature is handy for you and your colleagues, I suggest you raise your valuable ideas via Feedback Portal.

Microsoft will listen and consider making it a feature.

We will try our best to enhance customers' experience.

Thanks for your contribution.


If the answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".   

Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.User's image

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.