How do I move my taskbar to the side of my screen?

Violet Sloan 355 Reputation points
2025-06-16T01:24:44.48+00:00

I just upgraded from windows 10 to 11, but one issue is I can't work out how to put the taskbar on the side of the screen. This was an option in windows 10, you could just unlock it and drag it to the edge to move it, but now I can't see an option to do that anywhere. Any help would be much appreciated, I like how a side taskbar looks and feels so much more, having it stuck on the bottom is hideous in comparison.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Desktop, Start, and personalization | Task Bar

Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

Answer accepted by question author
Austin-H 8,385 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
2025-06-16T02:02:06.21+00:00

Hi @Violet Sloan,

Thank you so much for reaching out through the Microsoft Q&A forum. I really appreciate your question, and I completely understand how frustrating it must be to lose a feature you relied on especially when it affects how you work and feel about your setup.

In Windows 10, it was indeed possible to unlock and drag the taskbar to the side of the screen. Unfortunately, in Windows 11, Microsoft has removed the built-in option to reposition the taskbar vertically. At this time, there’s no official way to move it to the left or right side of the screen.

I know this change can feel limiting, especially if you’ve grown used to the vertical layout. While some users have found alternative ways to optimize screen space, I understand that it’s not quite the same and that having the taskbar stuck at the bottom may not suit your workflow or aesthetic preferences. 

I truly hope that in future updates, Microsoft will consider reintroducing more flexible taskbar positioning options to better support diverse user preferences and workflows. 

If you need help with any of the steps, feel free to let me know. I’m here to support you however I can.


If the answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".    

Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.  

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
Answer recommended by moderator
CrazyKats 19,925 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2025-07-24T20:47:59.26+00:00

Hi,

Feedback Hub is where all Suggestions and Issues should be

posted so that Microsoft can track and follow them.

It is opened by using WIN+F.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.

9 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Josef Sedláček 0 Reputation points
    2026-01-16T14:57:01.8+00:00

    I also do miss my taskbar on the right side of my screen - waiting four Windows update, which would enable it again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.

    5 deleted comments

    Comments have been turned off. Learn more