An Azure service that provides a general-purpose, serverless container platform.
Azure Container App stuck on Activating
I have an Azure Container App that is deployed to the Sweden Region, so I can use a GPU. It has been configured to Scale based on a queue using Azure System Bus. This has been working for awhile. However, today the Container App is stuck on Activating. I have 3 environments setup in the Sweden (Dev, Staging, Prod) and it seems they are all getting stuck in Activating. The App is set to scale with zero min replicas.
I also have other Container Apps in the UK South region, and that seems to be working fine. There are no errors showing in the System logs, and the Application Logs is just blank.
Any ideas what could be wrong?
Thanks in advanced.
Azure Container Apps
-
Ranashekar Guda • 2,905 Reputation points • Moderator
2025-06-12T18:16:29.0533333+00:00 Hello @Harold Cabrera,
When an Azure Container App is stuck in the "Activating" state, it usually means it’s trying to start a new replica but hasn’t been able to complete the process. Since this is happening across all your environments in the Sweden region, here are a few things to check. First, make sure your health probes are configured correctly, if the container fails health checks, it won’t transition out of the activating state.Also, check your ingress settings to confirm that the port your app is listening on matches the port defined in your container app configuration. If you’re using a virtual network, ensure it has the right DNS and outbound access, especially if you're pulling images from a private registry.
Since you’ve set the app to scale with zero minimum replicas, it will only start when triggered, so double-check that your Service Bus queue has active messages and that your scaling rules are still valid. It’s also a good idea to look at the Revisions and Replicas section in the portal to see if the latest revision is showing as degraded or failed.
Occasionally, issues can come from regional capacity or service health, so we recommend checking the Azure status page for any active issues in the Sweden region. If nothing seems off, try restarting or redeploying the app to see if that resolves the activation issue. Sometimes resource constraints or backend issues can delay activation.
Kindly refer below links:
Troubleshoot start failures in Azure Container Apps
https://azure.status.microsoft/en-us/status
Hope this helps. Do let us know if you any further queries.
-
Harold Cabrera • 5 Reputation points
2025-06-12T19:08:43.3466667+00:00 Thank you for your response.
All the Container Apps was working this morning. I checked the Sweden Central region and there are no outage reported. There has been no change in the configuration and setup.
The Logstream for the Application is just black. I've tried stopping and restarting the Container App, with no luck. I know there are messages in the queue, hence the Activation of the Container. I have tried a new deployment in Dev and limit the instance to 1. When I did that, I actually got an Activation Failed message. But no other clues on why it failed.
Do you have any other ideas?
-
Ranashekar Guda • 2,905 Reputation points • Moderator
2025-06-12T19:27:04.7066667+00:00 Hello @Harold Cabrera,
Thanks for the update. Since you’re seeing an Activation Failed message and no logs, it likely means the container is failing very early during startup. Please check if your container image or startup command might have any issues. Also, look at the container’s exit code or events in the Azure portal or use the Azure CLI to get more details on why it’s failing. Since you’re using GPU resources in Sweden, verify that the region has available capacity and that your app is correctly configured to request those resources.Make sure the app can pull the container image from the registry without any authentication problems. To help isolate the issue, you could try deploying a simple, known container image in the same region and see if it starts successfully. If that minimal container also fails, the problem might be with the platform or regional capacity.
-
Ranashekar Guda • 2,905 Reputation points • Moderator
2025-06-13T18:12:20.3233333+00:00 Hello @Harold Cabrera,
Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. If you have any further updates on this issue, please feel free to post back. -
Harold Cabrera • 5 Reputation points
2025-06-13T18:15:49.7766667+00:00 Unfortunately not. It's all still stuck on Activating. We've opened a support ticket with Microsoft and it has been escalated to the Product Team.
What's worst is that it seems that we are being charged for the Resource over the last day!
-
Harold Cabrera • 5 Reputation points
2025-06-13T18:19:00.21+00:00 Also, to add we were able to create a Container App in the UK South region with the exact same image and it works just fine. So it seems that something has happened to Sweden Central Container Apps. But there are no logs or messages shown at all.
-
Fares • 0 Reputation points
2025-06-16T09:47:15.55+00:00 Hello
I think I am having the same issue:
I deployed a Container App in the Sweden region in order to use GPU.I have a
Runningrevision, and the new revision is stuck inActivatingstatus.
Revision mode: SingleI have this warning in the logs:
failed to get cpu usage: unable to get metrics for resource cpu: no metrics returned from resource metrics API -
Ruben Debien • 0 Reputation points
2025-06-16T12:21:57.3933333+00:00 I am also failing to get my GPU container app running.
It was running fine with MinReplica on 1 then when I decided to now allow it to scale to 0, the new revision failed to activate. Now I am unable to run any image on T4 GPU. To me this screams: we don't have enough GPU's available.
Maybe Azure could be more clear in their communication of this. Couldn't find a node to run this application on or something.
Running the same image on CPU only of course works immediately which just seems to further push me to my earlier conclusion: Not enough GPU's in Sweden Central
-
Fares • 0 Reputation points
2025-06-18T07:49:47.29+00:00 @Ranashekar Guda Could you please review this request once more?
-
Ranashekar Guda • 2,905 Reputation points • Moderator
2025-06-19T21:43:54.8866667+00:00 Hello @Harold Cabrera ,
I have reached out to you over private message could you please check and help me with requested information to assist you further on this.Here is the reference link on How to access & Data Privacy policy of private messages in Microsoft QnA.
-
Harold Cabrera • 5 Reputation points
2025-06-19T21:49:12.54+00:00 Hi Ranashekar,
I replied to your private message and posted the Service Request ticket number. Base on my last update from Microsoft, the latest from Product Group is that they are still currently working on Mitigation in Sweden Central. And working to scale out the T4s.
-
Ranashekar Guda • 2,905 Reputation points • Moderator
2025-06-23T16:34:12.9833333+00:00 Hello @Harold Cabrera,
As i can see issue as been resolved from backend.
Could you please check container app status and provide with me an update? -
Harold Cabrera • 5 Reputation points
2025-06-23T21:32:44.4133333+00:00 It looks like Sweden Central is working again. But the Microsoft tech is asking us to use a different region.
-
Ranashekar Guda • 2,905 Reputation points • Moderator
2025-06-23T23:57:59.11+00:00 Hello @Harold Cabrera,
Thanks for your response and glad to know that your problem has been resolved.
Sign in to comment