Issue where remote desktop connection to Windows 11 Pro (24H2) cannot be established

Anonymous
2024-11-07T01:26:52+00:00

Nice to meet you.

Currently, when connecting to a remote desktop computer on Windows 11 Pro (24H2), authentication passes but the screen freezes afterwards.

Environment

  • Accounts are managed by Active Directory.
  • The AD server is Windows Server 2019, and all Windows Updates have been applied.
  • The remote PC is managed by Active Directory, and the remote connection account is an AD account.
  • There were no problems when the OS of the remote PC was Windows 11 Pro (23H2).

Event

  • When connecting remotely within the local network, the screen freezes after authentication about once in five times.
  • When connecting via VPN, the screen freezes after authentication frequently (almost 100% of the time).
  • I tried to stop all security software and firewalls at the remote and remote sources, but there was no change.
  • Very rarely, there are times when I can connect and use the computer without any problems.
  • There are no errors in the event log, and I could not find any logs that were different from when I connected normally.
    ・The same phenomenon has been confirmed on multiple devices.
    ・This issue was confirmed in late October 2024. It may have just happened that I didn't notice it until then, but we have confirmed that on a test device where Windows Update was progressed one step at a time, remote connections became unstable when the device was updated to 24H2.

Since we cannot revert the remote PC to 23H2, this is causing fatal problems with remote work and remote work when away from home.

Is there a patch or workaround for this?

Thank you in advance.

<Moderator's Note> *** Moved from ja-jp. *** *** Moved from Windows / Windows 11 / Settings ***

Windows for business | Windows Client for IT Pros | User experience | Remote desktop services and terminal services

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2024-11-28T15:12:55+00:00

For us rolling out the Group Policy company-wide probably solves this issue until it gets fixed by Microsoft:

Local Computer Policy> Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Remote Desktop Services > Remote Desktop Session Host > Remote Session Environment > Enforce Removal of Remote Desktop Wallpaper - set to Enabled

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

22 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-11-15T11:39:30+00:00

    Hi
    MuryloBatista
    Zafer Demir1

    Thank you for letting me know how to solve the problem!

    I tried the method of lowering the remote desktop communication performance.

    I've only tried it a few times so far, but it seems to be easier to connect now than before, when I couldn't connect at all.

    I haven't tried the method of placing mstsc.exe and mstscax.dll from 23H2 yet, but I'd definitely like to give that a try.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-11-15T09:29:21+00:00

    Hi,

    23H2 version mstsc.exe and mstscax.dll files

    I put the in c:\windows\system32 folder and it worked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-11-14T10:13:36+00:00

    Hi,

    What worked for me is changing the quality to modem, reducing the quality of the connection.

    Seems something with this last big update, updated something that does not like RDP

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-11-11T03:40:32+00:00

    Hi Jacen,

    Thank you for contacting us.
    I tried setting it to TCP only mode, but that did not change the situation.
    I also tried "Microsoft Remote Desktop" from the Microsoft Store, but it also freezes.

    (I tried setting the TCP only mode on both the remote source and the remote destination.)

    Since we are now in a situation where we cannot revert to the OS version, we are continuing to try and find a workaround as we do not know when a fix will be released by Microsoft.

    Thank you for your continued support.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments