Can I disable recording a Teams webinar while still allowing the transcript?

Jordan Bauman 40 Reputation points
2025-01-23T19:41:47.36+00:00

I'm looking for a way to setup a Teams webinar so that attendees can still get a live transcript, but don't have the option to start the recording. Is that possible?

From what I have seen, I can either allow both options or neither of them. I'm not a Teams admin, so ideally, I would like to have the option myself without impacting other webinars. If it has to be configured by an admin, I want to have enough information for our Teams admins to act on.

We have roadmap sessions that have a lot of future plans, so we don't want them to be recorded in case priorities change. We would rather them reach out to their account manager or look on our website for updates in between roadmap sessions. However, we want attendees to be able to transcribe or translate during the meeting since we have clients around the world and English might not be their first language.

Similar questions have been asked about starting the transcript separately from the recording, but I don't want attendees to have the ability to start recording the session.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Other
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-01-24T01:40:49.95+00:00

Hi @Jordan Bauman

You can use live captions in meetings, even when recording and transcription are disabled.

To use live captions in a meeting, go to your meeting controls at the top of the screen and select More > Language and speech > Turn on live captions.


If the answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".

Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.


Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

0 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.