solved for me!!
the last upgrade solved my issue (windows server 2008, the display of certain applications like oracle sql)
2025-02 Actualización acumulativa para Windows 11 Version 24H2 para sistemas basados en x64 (KB5051987)
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
After having upgraded Windows 11 to 24H2, the remote desktop connections to machines that use Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008R2 do not show graphic content correctly.
Returning to the previous Windows 11 version (23H2) has resolved the problem.
No problems with remote desktop connections to other machines with more recent operating systems. Unfortunately, the above-mentioned Windows 7 machine is "special", as it is used to control some very old industrial system control and it is not upgradable.
This same issue just popped up for me. I just "upgraded" to Win11 24H2 and my remote connection to my OLD development machine is now showing corrupt graphics or blank boxes.
Hitting the Experience settings on the remote session helped.
I set that to "LAN" and checked all the option boxes.
I tried both the Bitmap Caching options and neither setting fixed the graphics display.
Microsoft, if you're listening, HELP!
UPDATE:: See below comment from
Michal Kumela Oct 21, 2024, 2:57 AM
Try to download Remote Desktop App from Microsoft Store.
This App connect seems a little slower than the Windows 11 RDC, but it fixed the graphics corruption problem for my situation!
I have the same problem, on a windows server 2008, the display of certain applications like oracle sql develloper is unreadable.
I have the same problem, on a windows server 2008, the display of certain applications like oracle sql develloper is unreadable.
We have noticed this issue as-well, not attempted to Rollback yet
Hi, I have the same problem! someone could downgrade windows 11 update or fix this issue?
I "rolled back" to the previous Windows 11 version, which temporarily resolved the problem. However, in this way, I blocked many other good improvement present in the 24H2.
I have the same problem when connected to Windows Server 2008. Please help!!!
Try to download Remote Desktop App from Microsoft Store - it is still working fine.
I also encountered this issue and was confused for a long time, until I finally discovered it was a problem with the new version of the mstsc client in Windows 11 24H2.
Any word from Microsoft on this issue? This causes massive issues for me, who RDPs into older systems, but where I am forced to update.
Unfortunately, the only solution now is to return to the previous version (23H2). You should do that quickly, or it will become unavailable after a while.
We are also affected by this. We've reached out to Microsoft but it doesn't seem they're aware of the issue.
Algum conseguiu ajustar ?
I also encountered a similar problem! When is Microsoft going to solve it? It is impossible to work fully with a remote desktop!!!!
November Cumulative update hasn't fixed this issue
The same happened to me, but when accessing applications that needs Java. Windows Explorer and Browsers runs fine.
I took old RDP 7.1 client files and that's ok !
Аналогичная проблема. Очень жду скорейшего решения!
Same problem here. Thunderbird menus on the remote computer are unusable.
I have recovered mstsc.exe and mstscax.dll from Windows.old ; and both .mui files from subdirectory en-US.
When launched from that location, it fixes the problem, but creates another.
The top menu bar is absent, so that you cannot disconnect from the remote session or reduce it in a window.
Frédéric, from Belgium
Same problem with windows 11 24h2 and a 2008 server with excel 2002. All the buttons are hidden and appear when I move the mouse over them.
Not a very helpful answer?
Same problem with Remote Desktop accessing an older Windows 7 machine after updating to 24H2. At first I thought it was a video card issue, until I noticed that another laptop just updated to 24H2 also had the problem. I will not update my remaining laptop for the time being!
Same problem with our Win11 24h2 update: A lot of artefacts in RDP-windows. Moving mouse creates stripes. It's more than annoying...
I've been looking for the 7.1 download but I haven't been able to find it anywhere.
Hi Frederic,
To fix the menu bar problem
I copied the following files from the 23H2 version, from the Windows.old folder:
C:\Windows\System32\mstsc.exe
C:\Windows\System32\mstscax.dll
C:\Windows\System32\en-US\mstsc.exe.mui
C:\Windows\System32\en-US\mstscax.dll.mui
C:\Windows\SystemResources\mstsc.exe.mun
C:\Windows\SystemResources\mstscax.dll.mun
It worked fine
Hello @marc picart, I already tried that (except that I have put a target location outside c:\windows) and the behaviour is a bit different. The remote desktop comes immediately a full-screen, and the top menu bar is absent.
Hence you cannot put the remote desktop in a window, neither close it in order to disconnect.
I cannot test anymore as I have reverted to 23H2 within the 10-days timeframe.
resolved https://www.facebook.com/share/v/1Jux5xWdSk/
translate THAI to ENG
Is anyone experiencing this issue with Windows 2008R2 or Windows 7 running RDP 8 on their machines (which was an update, not what was released with the OS)? I'm wondering if that changes anything in regards to this issue as I don't think Microsoft will view it as a problem. The OSes of the servers being connected to are past end of of life and running versions of RDP that were not installed to currently supported versions of their PC and server products.
I cleared out the group policy history cache and know it works
I believe I found a workaround, albeit a low quality one. I found this while tinkering with mRemoteNG and was able to do this with the Windows Remote Desktop Client with an .rdp file. When I set the color depth to 256 colors, I did not get the bars across my screen running sqldeveloper. I viewed table contents and ran a sql script without issue. It is an ugly screen, but it is legible. The Windows 11 RDP client does not offer 256 colors as an option but you can save a .rdp file and edit the file in notepad to set it there. The value you want to change is session bits per pixel (session bpp). It normally looks like "session bpp:i:32". It could be 15 or 16 depending on color depth picked when you saved the .rdp intially. Change it to the following: "session bpp:i:8", save the file, and then launch your remote desktop session using that .rdp file.
It is more complicated when you are using an RDM manager program that uses mstsc API.
This has been broken for some months now. I have to access older servers
it impacts hosts running
windows 2008 x86,
windows 2008 r2 X64
from any Windows 11 machine since the second or third windows insider release preview of 24H2
While RDM supports using older versions of the RDP Api supposedly from RDP6.1 to RDP 10.11 it makes no difference so far
FreeRDP API has problems with cutting and pasting the clipboard which is essential
time for a fix please Bill
I work for a medical Facility and The EHR we use connects via Remote desktop connection the program is centered around Windows Server 2008, When I did the update Windows 11, version 24H2 on 1-13-2025 I had logged into my EHR and it is comparable to the picture above, I went into the Microsoft Store and downloaded remote desktop connection and it fixed the graphical issues but now i cant access my printer. The printer is not wired it connects via Wifi. Does anybody know If i can uninstall the most recent update or how to get my printer to pick up through MICROSOFT REMOTE DESKTOP.
You can try my suggestion from Dec. 27th to get the standard PC remote desktop application working at 256 colors. The graphics are legible then but the color depth kind of sucks. That would then presumably allow you to use your printer with Remote Desktop. If you updated on the 13th, you might be able to go into the update history on Windows Update and roll the update back. If it's been more than 10 days, though, you won't have that option.
Hello, has anyone solved this problem properly? When I run the files from version 23h2, everything looks fine, but the top toolbar does not show. Do you have any solution? I am solving the problem on remote computers, so I cannot completely replace mstsc.exe in the system32 directory.. Thanks
Sort this thread by newest and see my solution just under yours (from Comraddm). You don't need to touch you system mstsc, just copy that archive to any place and make a shortcut to desktop.
We also have this problem and urgently need a solution.
It is unacceptable that we have to replace the mstsc files with every Windows update.
Unfortunately, many functions are not possible with the new MS Remote Desktop.
You don't need to touch your system mstsc, sort this thread by newest and see my solution below.
I do not agree. I did that and explained it in a previous post. The remote desktop comes in a full screen window without a toolbar, and you cannot set the remote session in a window, or minimise it, or disconnect it.
The only way to return to your local computer is to logoff from the remote computer.
I was still in the timeframe to uninstall 24H2 and reverted to 23H2.
(I had other problems with 24H2 related to networking, IPv6, DNS and DHCP.)
Frederic DM, no, I insist it really works fine!
Checked on several PCs.
Are you sure you did exactly what suggested?
The situation without toolbar appears if resource files *.mun are absent.
Can you show all files and dirs of your dir with mstsc.exe?
To do that run cmd, then cd to your dir and there type command tree /f.
You should get this:
Unfortunately, it doesn't work for us with the GPO either.
Sorry, I cannot do that. I have reverted to 23H2.
Anyway, what a mess in order to sort out what is needed and what is crap.
Not counting zillions occurrences in WinSXS
Thanks for your advice, I will keep a copy of those .mun files in a safe place, for the time MS will push forcefully 24H2 sooner or later.
C:\WINDOWS\System32\mstsc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\mstscax.dll
C:\WINDOWS\System32\en-GB\mstsc.exe.mui
C:\WINDOWS\System32\en-GB\mstscax.dll.mui
C:\WINDOWS\System32\en-US\mstsc.exe.mui
C:\WINDOWS\System32\en-US\mstscax.dll.mui
C:\WINDOWS\System32\fr-FR\mstsc.exe.mui
C:\WINDOWS\System32\fr-FR\mstscax.dll.mui
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem\mstsc.mof
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem\mstscax.mof
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem\en-GB\mstsc.mfl
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem\en-GB\mstscax.mfl
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem\en-US\mstsc.mfl
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem\en-US\mstscax.mfl
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem\fr-FR\mstsc.mfl
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem\fr-FR\mstscax.mfl
C:\WINDOWS\SystemResources\mstsc.exe.mun
C:\WINDOWS\SystemResources\mstscax.dll.mun
C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\mstsc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\mstscax.dll
C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\wbem\mstsc.mof
C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\wbem\mstscax.mof
C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\wbem\en-GB\mstscax.mfl
C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\wbem\en-US\mstscax.mfl
C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\wbem\fr-FR\mstscax.mfl
C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-t..cesclient.resources_31bf3856ad3... ... ...
Can anyone tell me how to install FreeRDP on Windows?
This method of copying mstsc files from old built to a different location and starting older version of mstsc works if you are using remote desktop but if you have a remote app, it does not follow even if you point that remote app file to older mstsc version.
We have tested this week's Insider Preview build
And we can confirm that the issue has been fixed in this build.
Thank you, DiegoCarmona-4368.
Will be waiting for the official stable release.
Agree, that release does the job, great!
Hi everyone,
I did upgrade recently (14/2/2025) to Windows 11 version 24H2. Also, it causes problems with remote desktop connections to XP virtual machine, graphics are not shown correctly.
Does anyone knows if Microsoft self will solve this issue in future upgrades? It seems to me an unacceptable behavior as so many windows users all have this same problem.
Thanks in advance to Microsoft for professional help!
My last update was at 11/02/2025.
2025-02 Cumulatieve update voor op Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64 gebaseerde systemen (KB5051989).
There are still problems in my XP virtual machine via remote desktop connection. Missing some icon graphics in XP system environment and also in some XP programs. Graphic curves are not displayed solid, missing data points and also icons are not complete displayed in the programs. Accessing the icon buttons they become visible and complete, but it doesn't become stable at all.
I stay waiting for upgrade that solves it all.
I still use some older XP programs for my company and I cannot replace them by more recent versions, because they don't exist. So, I really need a good working stable XP environment like it was before the Windows 11 24H2 upgrade.
Same, installed KB5051987 but the issue is still there. It is unacceptable for such a problem to be going on for months.
I have had this issue for two months and Microsoft still hasn't fixed it. I am an IT administrator and I have several affected servers, Windows 2008 and even some Windows 2003. I know they should be updated but they do their job perfectly. I have some users with the 24H2 version but more and more are coming. At the moment we have solved it using the old mstsc.exe. But that can stop working at any time. I hope Microsoft takes this seriously. Otherwise, between Windows 10 end of support and 24H2, companies are going to have to spend a fortune on renewals.
Sorts graphics but can't use as there is no printer and local drive ability.
solved for me!!
the last upgrade solved my issue (windows server 2008, the display of certain applications like oracle sql)
2025-02 Actualización acumulativa para Windows 11 Version 24H2 para sistemas basados en x64 (KB5051987)
Unfortunately, this update has not solved the problem with my remote desktop applications on Windows 2008 R2.
This fixed the problem for me:
2025-01 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11, version 24H2 for x64 (KB5050577)
Hi CriZeb, update for .NET Framework fixed your problem?
Strange...
Are you sure your problem was with artefacts inside rdp session?
in RDP connections with Windows Server 2008, the display of some applications was unreadable. With the latest updates the problem has disappeared. Checking the update history I found KB5050577 as the latest. I just tried the update on another client with the same problem but it didn't work so it must have been some other update but I haven't figured out which one yet
CriZeb, I understand that you turned on the switch about pre-updates, because KB5050577 is a pre-update only.
And you know, you are right, it really works!
After installing it you should restart your PC and also log out from your rdp session (not just disconnect) and log in again.
Latest pre-update KB5050577 .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 really helped!
Pre-update KB505077 doesn't help to solve the Windows 11 24H2 problem on my PC.
Still problems with showing complete and correct graphics with my XP virtual machine via RDP.
I am the same, the update KB505077 has not solved the graphics problems with my Windows 2008 and XP Servers.
I've checked several times in Virtual Machine with snapshots and KB505077 surely helped.
Checked connecting to Win Serv 2008 R2 and Windows XP.
Without that update in Win XP rdp session really big problems, even desktop shortcuts disappear and toolbar icons in wordpad too.
But after that update all is going fine.
You need to restart your PC and restart rdp session too by loging out of it.
Log out from your RDP session (just disconnecting is not enough) and then log in again.
Try also to install KB5051987
I have done log out and reboot and I still have the same problems with the KB505077 :(
Same behavior here, after KB505077 update. I have done log out and log in of RDP. I have reboot PC with RDP logged out and after PC reboot, logged in to RDP again. Still same problem, not any differerence in behavior regarding the problem.
CriZeb, I have installed update KB5051989 on my PC on 12/2/25. I don't see KB5051987 available to install and it hasn't been installed on my PC before.
Paul Vancluysen, KB5051989 is for Windows 11 23H2, here we are talking about the issue on 24H2 You can download KB5051987 also from here: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=kb5051987-x64
CriZeb, on my PC, update KB5051989 (for Windows 11 23H2) was done on 12/02/25 and my Windows 11 24H2 install is done on 14/2/25. I suppose further updates for Windows 11 24H2, which are needed for correct operation, will come automatically via the normal updates path, not?
Paul Vancluysen, in fact I found the KB5051987 update among those available, maybe you will find it available in the next few days
I have installed all of them and it does not work.
I will wait for new updates for Windows 11 24H2. Hopefully the problem will be solved then - for all of us.
KB5050577 does not fix it for sessions to Windows Server 2008 R2 Terminal Server.
Edit: fixed by KB5052093
That's odd, did for me, graphics fine after it installed
I might have a slightly different issue. The desktop looks fine in standard Windows apps. Then as soon as even a small java window is opened, the whole desktop goes glitchy. It is not limited to one software vendor, each app using a different java vm version, and it is occurring across multiple RDP servers and clients. The issue started recently with newer Windows clients. Microsoft Remote Desktop on Mac works perfectly.
I have worked around it somewhat, by removing the 16-bit color depth limit via mmc Remote Desktop Services Manager snap-in. Rendering is improved, but performance suffers.
Any tips on getting the Microsoft Store Remote Desktop client working with Windows 2008 R2 SP1? The error is "remote PC might not accept blank passwords", but I am entering the correct password.
Same here - KB5050577 did not fix the graphics issue with Windows Server 2008 R2 Terminal Server
I can confirm that KB5052093 fixed my issue.