Upgrading to Windows 11 24H2 causes remote desktop connections to Windows 7 machines not to show graphics correctly.

Alessandro Cipriano 205 Reputation points
2024-10-03T09:25:51.5866667+00:00

After having upgraded Windows 11 to 24H2, the remote desktop connections to machines that use Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008R2 do not show graphic content correctly.

Returning to the previous Windows 11 version (23H2) has resolved the problem.

No problems with remote desktop connections to other machines with more recent operating systems. Unfortunately, the above-mentioned Windows 7 machine is "special", as it is used to control some very old industrial system control and it is not upgradable.

RemoteDesktopProblemAfter24H2

Windows for business | Windows Client for IT Pros | User experience | Remote desktop services and terminal services

24 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Richard 15 Reputation points
    2024-10-04T18:02:23.0066667+00:00

    It looks like mstsc in Windows 11 24H2 no longer understands bitmap updates that contain multiple rectangles. It seems to draw the first rectangle (maybe) and ignore the rest. It's not clear whether this change is intentional.

    FreeRDP updated their code to deal with this by restricting all bitmap updates to a single rectangle.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.

  2. Anonymous
    2024-10-06T23:31:56.9833333+00:00

    Hello,

    When using mstsc, you can open the advanced menu, select "Experience," and then try checking or unchecking the "Bitmap caching" option to see if it helps.


    If the Answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and upvote it.

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. PLewandowski 15 Reputation points
    2024-10-08T09:29:32.6033333+00:00

    I found article

    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/discussion-windows-11-build-26100-pc-24h2-retail-ge-release.88220/page-92

    and there is helpful two comments

    1. "If I use remote desktop client from MS store, it works well, without artifacts, but this client is very limited. It not maps printers, and I need to print."

    Like suggest Richard (FreeRDP)- but below app is from MS

    I tested app with icon with red circle and signs >< inside - and artefact (on APP via RDP) does not occur.

    1. "I just tested and it seems to work.  You need to copy these files

    C:\Windows\System32\mstsc.exe

    C:\Windows\System32\mstscax.dll

    C:\Windows\System32\en-US\mstsc.exe.mui

    C:\Windows\System32\en-US\mstscax.dll.mui"

    (on Client PC)

    Before You will change this files i sugest create copy of theme.

    I coped from C:\windows.old this files (but when You usage Windows in another language this en-US directory be diferent - corectly to OS language) and

    I cope files on Windows Recovery Mode (press and hold shift when You click reboot OS; on Recovery mode -> Trabelshoot -> Advanced options -> Command Prompt) - becouse when OS normaly works, this files is lock.

    Useful comands on cmd

    -to change partition:

    C:

    -after chenges partition to C: - changes folders

    cd c:\Windows\System32\

    -to list files on directory or check file size

    dir mstsc.exe

    -delete files

    del C:\Windows\System32\mstsc.exe

    -copy files between folders (first is source directory second is destination directory)

    copy C:\Windows.old\System32\mstsc.exe C:\Windows\System32\mstsc.exe

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.

  4. Michal Kumela 45 Reputation points
    2024-10-21T08:57:45.43+00:00

    Try to download Remote Desktop App from Microsoft Store User's image

    Use it instead of classic RDC App. For me worked!

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.

  5. Kent Crabtree 0 Reputation points
    2024-11-26T21:43:09.02+00:00

    I was able to solve the issue.

    I used an older version of mstsc.exe from 2007. I created the RDP file using this version, saving the correct parameters, such as screen resolution and security warnings.

    To use the new RDP, I made a shortcut on the Desktop to run c:\temp\mstsc.exe c:\temp\profile.rpd.

    This cleared the problem of the screen not filling in correctly.

    Until a Microsoft Update addresses the problem, this is a workaround.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.