Microsoft Remote Desktop cannot connect to some servers after macOS update to Sequoia 15.0

Piers Uso Walter 100 Reputation points
2024-09-16T19:33:03.7266667+00:00

I just updated my Mac to macOS Sequoia 15.0. I'm using Microsoft Remote Desktop 10.9.10.

I can no longer connect to some of our old servers (I was connected to one of those servers right before the update, so the macOS update may be the cause of the problem). The systems I cannot connect to are two Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise systems and one Windows Server 2012 system.

The error message I receive in each case is:

We couldn't connect to the remote PC because the PC can't be found. Please provide the fully-qualified name or the IP address of the remote PC and then try again.

Error code: 0x104

I have no problem to connect to other servers (both older systems running Windows 2003, or other Windows Server 2012 systems, or newer systems running Windows Server 2016, or Windows Server 2022).

The error message suggests a DNS problem, but I have verified that the server names resolve correctly, I have flushed my DNS cache, and I have tried to use the IP addresses in the Microsoft Remote Desktop configuration. Still, I get the same error.

Is this a known issue with using Microsoft Remote Desktop on macOS Sequoia?

Windows for business | Windows Client for IT Pros | User experience | Remote desktop services and terminal services
0 comments No comments

9 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Keller, Mike 10 Reputation points
    2024-09-18T21:24:55.3033333+00:00

    I changed the Local Network permission and still getting 0x104 errors. Both in RDC and Windows App Preview.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.

  2. James McDowell 25 Reputation points
    2024-09-22T02:13:59.0366667+00:00

    Same here.

    Local network access is allowed.

    I can ping the machines.

    I can also use RDP from a Parallels Win 10 VM on the same Mac.

    The 104 error started with Sequoia.

    EDIT: There is now an update to RDP version 11 in the App Store. For whatever reason it did not show up under "updates." I had to select the RDP app in my account in the app store and then it gave me the option to update. It's now called Windows app, quite different.

    At least it seems to be connecting again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  3. Satish Kumar 0 Reputation points
    2024-09-28T04:48:05.6333333+00:00

    sometimes i am getting error 0x104 while connecting RDP. In this situation i disable & enable windows app from Privacy & Security>Local network. Then it works. But its not a permanent solution. Please suggest on it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  4. Jord Wegge 0 Reputation points
    2024-10-14T10:56:42.4433333+00:00

    Allowing acces to local network is not resolving the issue, neither is adding the Windows App (Version 11.0.5 (2401)) to allowing incoming connections in the advanced firewall options.

    The only thing which seems to work is disabling the firewall altogether, but I can't say that I'm a big fan of that.

    Using macOS Sequoia 15.0.1 (24A348)

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.