Microsoft Remote Desktop cannot connect to some servers after macOS update to Sequoia 15.0

Piers Uso Walter 100 Reputation points
2024-09-16T19:33:03.7266667+00:00

I just updated my Mac to macOS Sequoia 15.0. I'm using Microsoft Remote Desktop 10.9.10.

I can no longer connect to some of our old servers (I was connected to one of those servers right before the update, so the macOS update may be the cause of the problem). The systems I cannot connect to are two Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise systems and one Windows Server 2012 system.

The error message I receive in each case is:

We couldn't connect to the remote PC because the PC can't be found. Please provide the fully-qualified name or the IP address of the remote PC and then try again.

Error code: 0x104

I have no problem to connect to other servers (both older systems running Windows 2003, or other Windows Server 2012 systems, or newer systems running Windows Server 2016, or Windows Server 2022).

The error message suggests a DNS problem, but I have verified that the server names resolve correctly, I have flushed my DNS cache, and I have tried to use the IP addresses in the Microsoft Remote Desktop configuration. Still, I get the same error.

Is this a known issue with using Microsoft Remote Desktop on macOS Sequoia?

Windows for business | Windows Client for IT Pros | User experience | Remote desktop services and terminal services
0 comments No comments

9 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-09-17T01:55:04.4166667+00:00

    Hello,

    Since the release of Sequoia 15.0 is quite recent, no compatibility issues between the RD client and specific server versions have been reported on this forum yet.

    Have you verified the network connectivity between your macOS system and the host server?

    Have you made any recent configurations or updates on the problematic server side? Additionally, attempting to restart the problematic server might resolve any potential glitches.

    Try connecting using a different RDP client: Get started with Windows App to connect to devices and apps - Windows App | Microsoft Learn or test with the Bata version App Center.


    If the Answer is helpful, please click Accept Answer and upvote it.

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. Anonymous
    2024-09-17T02:01:26.56+00:00

    Can confirm. The same seemingly happens to me. 0x104 right after upgrading a Mac to Sequoia.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  3. Eric Cabestany 15 Reputation points
    2024-09-17T07:23:56.3433333+00:00

    I have the same problem after updating to MacOS Sequoia 15.0

    Now I'm trying the beta of Windows App.

    I will let you know if works better than the Microsoft Remote Desktop App.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.

  4. joel brabant 5 Reputation points
    2024-09-17T11:16:52.8166667+00:00

    Same here with 0x204

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  5. Piers Uso Walter 100 Reputation points
    2024-09-17T14:19:22.7466667+00:00

    I found the root cause of the problem and how to fix it.

    macOS 15 has a new permission that you have to grant in order to allow apps to access local IPs and domains. A window pops up: "Microsoft Remote Desktop" would like to find devices on your local networks. I didn't know why it would want to do this, so I did not allow this.

    This prevented the app from accessing servers on my local network.

    To fix, I opened System Settings > Privacy & Security > Local Network.
    There I allowed Microsoft Remote Desktop to access the local network (and while I was at it, Windows App Preview and several web browsers as well).

    Now I can once again connect to the servers as I could before the macOS update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.