Map CoPilot key back to Control Key

Jon Mercer 160 Reputation points
2024-07-15T17:32:12.8233333+00:00

I would presume there is a way to do it, but every time I ask CoPilot how to map the CoPilot keyboard key back to the right Control key it is determined to tell me how to map the CoPilot key to the right control key in the registry. It even shows I can help you map copilot to control and proceeds to give the steps to map copilot to another key.

Power Tools doesn't work on all the applications we are using so need to do it in the registry. Just need to know what hex code to use.

  1. Open Registry Editor:
    • Press Win + R, type regedit, and hit Enter.
    • Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout.
  2. Create a New Binary Value:
    • Right-click on the right pane and choose New > Binary Value.
    • Name it Scancode Map.
  3. Modify the Scancode Map Value:
    • Double-click on Scancode Map.
    • In the Value data field, enter the following hexadecimal value:
Windows for business | Windows Client for IT Pros | User experience | Other

7 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Vikas Chauhan 25 Reputation points
    2025-08-16T12:56:26.7333333+00:00

    I faced the same issue, so I made a AutoHotKey script to map the copilot key back to right control, It's just 2mb script. No need to download powertoys or edit registry. Try it out.

    https://github.com/A-4-Atom/CopilotKeyRemap

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.

  2. BonziBuddy 60 Reputation points
    2025-03-18T11:32:00.53+00:00

    Using PowerToys you can easily change the shortcut to another key by using "Remap a shortcut". It's important to know that it will start working once the dialog is closed.

    User's image

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.

  3. bierdav 0 Reputation points
    2025-03-03T09:00:17.7333333+00:00

    Update:

    Nevermind it seams that after some time the copilot key goes back to "shortcut" mode anyways. So my solution is to additionally add a shortcut remap in powertoys


    The solution is to first set the copilot key to "Search" in the settings (look at the screen shot). I might point out that I have uninstalled the Copilot App too, I don't know if this changes the behaviour of this process.

    User's image

    After this the key behaves like a key again and not like a shortcut.User's image

    Now you can remap the key using powertoys or any other tool you like. In my case I use sharpkeys, because it takes effect immediately after boot unlike powertoys which needs a few seconds to kick in.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  4. Xavier P 20 Reputation points
    2024-12-27T11:38:10.89+00:00

    I could not manage to remap de "Copilot" touch neither with Regedit nor with other solution.
    POWERTOY makes it able to simulate a 'Ctrl' touch, but since we remap a shortcut containing SHIFT inside, we cannot use 'SHIFT + Ctrl' nor any shortcut containing any of the initial shortcut keySo here is my solution :

    I remaped 'AltGr' to 'Ctrl' with Powertoys 'Remap a key', and then remaped 'Copilot' key to 'AltGr' using Powertoys 'remap shortcut'It's not as easy as it should since AltGr is not next to the arrows, but it's the best solution I found.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.

  5. Yar Is 145 Reputation points
    2024-11-25T07:53:04.3033333+00:00

    From user JustTesting on https://www.elevenforum.com/

    The copilot key on your keyboard isn't a single key input; it's actually a shortcut. When you press the copilot key, it signals the shortcut "Windows+Shift+F23."

    When you utilize the Remap a Key feature, you can only remap a single key input at a time, so when you click select and then press the copilot key, it's as if you're inputting "windows," then "shift", then "F23." And since that feature only allows a single input, it saves the last one. This why when you press the copilot key there, it shows up as just "F23."

    What you should actually be doing is using the Remap a Shortcut feature instead! This way, when you click select and press copilot, the feature can hold all 3 inputs associated with that button ("Windows+shift+F23"). Then in the To Send section, you click select and press your left control key. Click okay, and your copilot key should now function as a control key.

     

    Make sure you delete any previous single-key remap you made for F23.

    Was this answer helpful?

    40+ people found this answer helpful.

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.