I just made mine to work! by going to firewall and doble click on allow apps through firewalls and doble click on remote desktop private box
Win 11 Remote desktop toggle button doesn't work
Very weird behavior from remote desktop app - see gif. Control panel settings shows that remote desktop is allowed but I still cannot connect.
Windows for business | Windows Client for IT Pros | User experience | Remote desktop services and terminal services
Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
-
Anonymous
2023-04-06T18:16:04.19+00:00 Same issue for me also UDP disable also Radio switch stay or return OFF after click on CONFIRM
-
Sean Keone Harrison • 5 Reputation points
2023-06-21T00:49:35.5+00:00 I have the exact same issue and wish someone would actually address the toggle switch problem directly!
Anyone that asks this exact question is getting general UDP fixes for after 22H etc... which has nothing to due with the toggle switch issue.
As far as I can tell the one glaring issue I see between my computer it is working on and the one it is not is that the computer name is missing from the one that is not working. I mean in the Settings/RDP Menu below the toggle switch it should state the computer name, but it is missing. On my computer RDP is working on the computer name is present in that area.
I have two identical computers I9-9900K Processors 64GB/96GB RAM, RTX-2080 Super/RTX-3070ti. Both are using MSI Z390 MEG ACE MB's with Windows 11 Pro.
One is running 3x500GB Samsung EVO 970 Plus in hardware (MB) Raid 0 the other is running an EVO 970 Plus 2TB.
The one that was my Windows Insider machine for years I was just finally able to get released from it in the latest major update. I'm fairly sure, but it probably was 22H. Remote desktop works fine on that computer.
The 2nd computer has been running Windows 10/11 Pro from the start via a retail license. Remote Desktop worked perfectly until the 22H update.
I have attempted every group policy & regedit fix out there and have yet to be able to fix this. I use to use my MacBook Pro to remote into both computers. I currently run the one RDP works on headless and use that one I can't remote into to RDP into it. But, this leaves me unable to remote into my main computer from my Mac using MS's RDP app...
-
Ddq • 5 Reputation points
2023-07-01T23:12:57.46+00:00 I am in the same boat as SK. Tried all manner of workarounds. No joy. Oddly, Remote Desktop is enabled in the Control Panel, Security, but I cannot toggle RD on in Settings. It just stays Off and I can no longer remote into my PC. Beyond frustrating!
-
Paul C • 45 Reputation points
2023-07-18T10:28:27.9866667+00:00 No Answer from me - I have the same problem.
I wonder if its an InTune setting - as all my devices this toggle wont switch. Yet, all devices signed in to basic AAD the toggle works.
-
Paul C • 45 Reputation points
2023-07-24T19:22:34.1966667+00:00 FIXED
Change your network firewall in network settings from public to private then the remote desktop toggle will work :)
-
Deleted
This comment has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The comment was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.
-
Richard Mekkes • 10 Reputation points
2023-12-05T22:11:56.88+00:00 What if this does not work, anything more I can try?
-
Fabian Geurts | Olileo • 56 Reputation points2023-12-07T07:01:08.2+00:00 I do have the exact same issue with all machines that are enrolled to InTune. Could this be a direction to search for that ?
Private connection : not working
UDP : not working
-
Sojiro84 • 0 Reputation points
2024-05-07T17:19:52.05+00:00 I got the same issue for a few weeks now.
Solutions here didn't help. RDP settings are enabled in the old settings window, but, as in the earlier screenshot, in the settings app, I can't enable it.
A coworker has the same issue, and our devices are also enrolled into InTune.
-
Paul Isaac • 6 Reputation points
2024-10-08T14:42:04.4433333+00:00 This did not help. My network was already private/
-
Paul Isaac • 6 Reputation points
2024-10-08T15:38:39.3266667+00:00 My device was setup with the Firewall enabled for all profiles (Domain/Private/Public) The domain profile was active as this is a Hybrid-joined device. I pushed out a policy that turned off the Firewall for all profiles. Synced the device, and the toggle button stuck. I then re-enabled the firewall and the connection disconnected and the toggle button went back to off. I have RDP enabled as an inbound rule, but it makes no difference. I even went as far as enabling all inbound connections by default. It still stays off. The only way I can get it to work is to disable the firewall for the Domain Profile. Interestingly, my Entra-Joined devices works perfectly with the Public Profile and the same Firewall policy applied.
The above image is an Entra-Joined device with the same Firewall policy applied.
The image below is a hybrid-joined device:
Now when I turn off the Firewall, this same device now works:
I so not have the time currently to go through each setting in my Firewall policy, but this is what they are, maybe someone else can figure out which one is causing this issue.
As I said earlier, this policy does not affect an Entra-Joined device using the Public Profiles, and the settings here are basically the same as the Domain and Private ones, so I am a little baffled.
-
Duran, Alex J • 0 Reputation points
2026-09-30T19:25:47.48+00:00 Changing the network profile type from Public to Private is the fix. I can't believe a windows update broke this in the OS code for RDP on Public network type for me. M$ is a joke!
PAUL C. IS THE GOAT!!!!!!!!!
7 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Radu Damian • 85 Reputation points
2025-09-17T08:36:55.8533333+00:00 I've managed to solve this on my computer after upgrading to 25H2 by clicking on Windows Defender Firewall "Restore defaults".
-
AndrzejSierga-9779 • 15 Reputation points
2025-10-01T09:25:59.48+00:00 I had the same issue after 25H2 upgrade today. I was searching for solution and finally restoring firewall to defaults helped me. Now I've found that not only me found this solution.
Windows 11 25H2 update also disabled ping to my computer so maybe some other services in firewall are affected by this update..
-
Lex • 0 Reputation points
2025-10-12T04:16:23.8466667+00:00 You're a life saver. 25H2 broke it for me and this fixed it immediately.
-
Tim Kimber • 0 Reputation points
2025-10-16T11:02:05.25+00:00 Just adding a quick comment to say that this fixed it for me too
-
Sergio H • 0 Reputation points
2025-10-18T11:11:43.24+00:00 THANK YOU! Yes, this fixes the issue, after 2 days wasted researching, finally found it. I echo what has previously commented "You're a life saver".
-
Ryosuke Iwanaga • 0 Reputation points
2025-10-19T20:57:19.1+00:00 ChatGPT must find this answer first! Thank you so much!
-