I finally solved my problem on this after a month. I had originally created my azure account with one e-mail address as my Microsoft primary account. However, In my microsoft account, I had changed to a completely different e-mail, set it as primary, and then deleted my old primary e-mail. Fortunately, I noticed when I would try to login to azure that part of the subdomain was the old email....and more fortunately, I still owned the domain.
So, I setup the domain to point to my new server so that I could use it for e-mail and forwarded the old e-mail address to my new e-mail address at the server level. I then went to my Microsoft account and added my old e-mail as a login e-mail...verified the e-mail...and then set it as the primary e-mail.
Finally, I logged into the azure portal with the old email address...and voila...it actually worked. So, conclusion to the story...Azure and the Microsoft accounts do not play together nicely. I am now trying to see if that e-mail is stored in Azure somewhere so that I can change it to my new e-mail and go back to only using my new e-mail...we'll see.