I had this same issue in a network environment whenever I started a new tab in Win 11 file explorer it would jump up to the top after a few seconds of scrolling and then be okay after. What worked for me was in the options of file explorer under the general tab. At the top there is a pull down for "Open File Explorer to:" and it was set to Home. I changed it to "This PC" and it seems to have fixed the problem. This is for Win 11 22H2. Hope this helps out someone! It's a very annoying problem.
Windows 11 File Explorer jumps to top when scrolling
When I am scrolling through a long list of project files, if I don't pick a folder or keep scrolling, the display will jump back up to the top and I have to start all over again. This has apparently been a bug since Windows 10 because I see solutions suggested in a Google search. The solution suggested for the 10 system does not work for 11. The suggested solution for 10 is uncheck the "Automatically pick an accent color from my background option" check box under Choose your accent color which I assume is equivalent to choosing "Manual" in the "Auto/Man" selection of Accent Color in Windows 11.
Windows for business | Windows Client for IT Pros | User experience | Other
Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
-
-
Simonton, Mark • 50 Reputation points
2023-01-25T18:42:51.1833333+00:00 Hay guys, this is not a mouse problem, it is a windows problem, it seems that the window is refreshing every 1 or 2 seconds so, as I scroll down the window scrolls to the top as it is redrawn. I have not seen this kind of problem since people tried to write programs with VB 3.
Really this is 3 steps backward in functionality; this interface is CRAP.
-
-
Mark Beasley • 0 Reputation points
2023-02-27T19:02:23.07+00:00 None of the other comments helped. But I went into Explorer's setting a changed several settings that seemed to have been changed. Afterwards things were back to the way they were before and this problem disappeared. I'm not sure of which change fixed it, but I believe changing run in separate process was the one that fixed it. Please try and let us know if that helps.
-
Jeff Classen • 30 Reputation points
2023-02-27T19:58:10.4+00:00 None of these solutions work, nor have any other solutions I have found throughout my searches.
I am ready to buy a Mac at this point. I regularly search through hundreds of pictures and documents and it has gotten intolerable.
-
avviano • 5 Reputation points
2023-03-10T05:25:32.32+00:00 I have the same issue with windows explorer in Windows 10. The menu on the left keeps jumping to a position without user input. It is a bit annoying....
-
raju pattathil • 45 Reputation points
2023-03-13T13:02:36.7766667+00:00 - Open Settings.
- Click on Personalization.
- Click on Start.
- Turn off the Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar and in File Explorer Quick Access toggle switch. Quick tip: If you want to reset the view, turn the toggle switch off and on again.
-
RGJL • 25 Reputation points
2023-03-18T15:16:26.3866667+00:00 Same here. It is truly annoying. The calling window seems to grab focus back causing the child window to reset to the top (but not the selection, so that still stays highlighted down the list). Solutions don't work (but thank you), I think this started at about Windows 10 H2 and I've been expecting that someone will correct an obvious piece of poor programming followed by worse QA for the past two years but it seems to be getting worse. Unloaded logitech mouse and keyboard drivers and went back to wired ms mouse and a keyboard - no change. Perhaps we should ask ChatGPT because MS obviously don't have the brains to solve it?
-
Harold Leggett • 0 Reputation points
2023-03-27T21:11:14.75+00:00 Windows 11 Home. Up to date. Tried this. Sounded promising. But. No joy.
-
oscar eduardo suarez • 5 Reputation points
2023-05-06T20:03:21.37+00:00 Same. finally, do you solve the problem?
-
Ernesto • 0 Reputation points
2023-06-10T22:01:01.7+00:00 Anyone figure this out yet? Or is this a bug?
-
-
-
Patrick • 5 Reputation points
2023-06-17T18:15:12.8566667+00:00 I have 3 Dell PC's on Win 10 and a Lenovo on Win 11 and all have this same problem. This only started maybe a year ago.
So my question to MS is WTF?? Why can't you fix this??
-
BT ZT • 0 Reputation points
2023-07-19T20:15:04.4333333+00:00 I'm have the same issue on my work PC and my home PC. Both are Windows 11. It is the most frustrating thing about my day! Click a folder in Explorer and before you can access it Explorer's focus jumps to something else...usually outside the window boundary...ugh!! Does Microsoft not monitor these forums to correct issues? I also use a Mac at work and the file management IS FAR SUPERIOR...and I don't like Apple. Get it together Microsoft! Is there a way to stop the focus from jumping around in Windows File Explorer?
-
Richard Thomas • 10 Reputation points
2023-08-15T14:54:29.01+00:00 My desktop, still on Win7 doesn't have this issue. My laptop on Win11 doesn't have this issue. My wife's desktop on Win10 does have this issue VERY frustrating for her. I tried the proposed solutions about background colors and quick access on the wife's computer with no success. I checked what was set differently on my laptop that does not have the problem and her desktop. The difference is I use a set background picture. Her desktop was set to Slideshow and to change the picture every minute. I reset her computer to Picture instead of Slideshow and so far so good. Turn off Slideshow and see if that helps.
-
lee • 0 Reputation points
2023-09-02T09:03:31.4033333+00:00 I had this issue with win 11 just a few days ago - very annoying - I assumed it was my trackball mouse - so much believed this that I actually took it apart (partially) - guess what ? I only needed to reseat keyboard dongle and the problem went away - I’ve had keyboard for months so didn’t suspect it and no, scroll lock wasn’t switched on the keyboard.
-
Malcolm Catmur-Neame • 0 Reputation points
2023-09-19T09:23:03.38+00:00 from time to time I look up this issue and I still have on my Windows 10 laptop and now on my new Windows 11 laptop. Windows File Explorer still jumps to the top and is still annoying as it is still in Windows 10.
I do wish someone would resolve this issue please
-
KjohnR • 0 Reputation points
2023-09-19T21:35:25.03+00:00 As someone stated above, this is not a Mouse problem: I get precisely the same behavior using the laptop's touchpad as I see when using a wireless mouse.
Also, it is not strictly a File Explorer problem: I see precisely the same behavior when attempting to scroll through any page and level in the Windows 11 Settings menus. I do not see it on any other installed program or app.
Curiously, my wife and I have two identical Dell Inspiron 16 7610 Laptops, running Windows 11 Home Ver 22H2, installed 11/03/2022, Build 22621.2283, last updated 09/13/2023. I have not experienced the issue on my device (knock on wood!), and I discovered today that my wife has been dealing with it for several months. Is there no way to escalate this to Microsoft??
-
John Jarvis • 5 Reputation points
2023-09-23T05:19:13.2+00:00 This is such an annoying problem with Windows 11 that I can't imagine why it ever became a bug. How have you not fixed this as a part of a regular update. It is enough to make me want to switch to a different OS. Completely unnecessary. Completely useless. Completely frustrating.
-
Deborah Sharpe • 0 Reputation points
2023-09-25T19:36:14.24+00:00 I have Windows 11, Home Edition and this has been a problem I have been coping with since I got my Razer laptop last year. Microsoft, please deal with this!!!
-
Frodo • 0 Reputation points
2023-09-26T09:40:47.8433333+00:00 Following seems to work for me:
- Go to Explorer Options > View > Advanced settings > When typing into list view
- Select "Automatically type into the Search Box"
- Click "OK"
That's it. Enjoy!
-
Drew Smith • 0 Reputation points
2023-10-05T05:47:17.72+00:00 How has this not been fixed yet!? I will send you my computer so you can see that it isn't a mouse issue.
That said... How many people here are having this issue with a DELL computer? Mine is an XPS 15. I would be curious if this issue is a Dell driver/firmware issue.
-
Mike Wooton • 5 Reputation points
2023-10-05T15:17:50.4766667+00:00 It's not a hardware issue at all, but they want you to think its not a OS issue and getting anyone from Microsoft on the phone to get help takes an act of God! I tried opening folders in separate windows which sometimes works and I don't understand why, but usually it doesn't. I wish I never upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11, biggest case of buyers remorse I've ever had and the upgrade was free!
-
Anger • 5 Reputation points
2023-10-10T02:32:42.44+00:00 Windows Explorer snaps back to the top of the list every time I open a file or copy/paste a file. Is it a "smart" feature no one asked for or a demostration of software programming incompetence? If I wanted to be at the top of the list I would scroll up all by my wittle self. [obscenities] If my folder has 336 files, it's a bunch of non-ergonomic additional mouse clicks and drags that I have to do each time to get back to the file I was looking at before "the snap". Is Microsoft's end goal to give all of their users carpal tunnel?
-
william rickert • 0 Reputation points
2023-10-21T01:18:40.8433333+00:00 I have the same problem with Windows 11 and have tried everyone's suggestions to date without success. I think that it's time to switch to a different OS.
-
Ken Gordon • 0 Reputation points
2023-11-04T16:23:36.2266667+00:00 I have been seeing this frustrating issue in Windows dating back to Win95 both on pc's at work (enterprise type environment) and at home and in every iteration of Windows since. I have tried every suggestion I came across to resolve it to no avail.
I am convinced Microsoft does not care about the problem. Please fix it!
Ken G
Edmonton
-
Helser IT • 0 Reputation points
2023-11-27T16:54:21.2233333+00:00 This is a ridiculous situation. This bug (I assume its a bug since I cant fathom any programmer thinking it's a good idea to step on a user's explorer), is more than frustrating, it interferes with my productivity. Not only does it scroll back to the top on me as I'm delving deep into my directory structure, it rolls up as well after I minimize and come back later. And that Microsoft hasn't fixed this problem yet is in itself a scathing indication of how poorly some departments are run. The head of the programming team for explorer, and indeed to project manager, should be fired for gross incompetence. Get with it Microsoft, give a hoot about the customers who support your company by buying and using your product!
-
David Londeen • 5 Reputation points
2023-12-07T03:06:53.69+00:00 I've been searching for a solution for over 3 years. I have seen it on multiple computers.
-
David Londeen • 5 Reputation points
2023-12-07T03:09:05.48+00:00 This is why I am not moving onto Win 11. Same problem exists.
-
Rene • 5 Reputation points
2024-02-25T17:53:27.42+00:00 None of those steps did resolve the issue. Windows is just pathetic.
-
Brian Schreech • 0 Reputation points
2024-03-18T01:33:57.1933333+00:00 Same problem. I scroll through hundreds of files at a time all day and Explorer constantly jumps to the top/beginning. I have been looking everywhere for a solution for many months. All I find is the same regurgitated suggestions that don't work.
-
-
Roy Varley • 0 Reputation points
2024-07-05T08:16:34.09+00:00 Turn off slideshow background in personalise settings - it works! Thank you, forgotten tipster.
-
Garret Lindsey • 0 Reputation points
2024-07-13T20:05:50.8866667+00:00 A way around this, its not a fix but if you press back (top left) it will go to the folder you were trying for. its what i do when trying save file or right clicking to open file in new window after the jump to home folder the back arrow will take you to the location you intended, most times.
Hope this helps till microsoft fixes
-
Ken Snyder • 5 Reputation points
2024-07-16T04:19:24.0733333+00:00 I agree. What does this have to do with my mouse. I use Logitech mouse and I am not going to switch mouse for a stupid microsoft issue.
-
Ken Snyder • 5 Reputation points
2024-07-16T04:20:42.58+00:00 Problem still exists. I am thinking about paying for Opus Directory just to solve this problem. Any recommendations on XPlorer2 vs Opus?
-
Robert House • 0 Reputation points
2024-07-31T21:31:03.8633333+00:00 I modified the color settings from automatic to manual and adjusted the file explorer settings from "open in the same window" to "open in a new window." The change proved successful, resolving the persistent scrolling-up issue that had been plaguing me for some time. While I've come across comments from others declaring that nothing seems to work for them, I am pleased to report that this adjustment did indeed work for me. I wish you the best of luck in addressing your own concerns.
-
Hellcat69 • 0 Reputation points
2024-09-24T07:45:37.5766667+00:00 Has this been solved? I upgraded to Win 11 pro and it worked fine until 2 weeks ago. Now everytime I'm scrolling through picture files the slide bars on the left panel with all the listings and the smaller white scroll tab to the right off the files or if opened all the pictures will flash a brighter white then jump back to the top. This is beyond annoying and frustrating. It just did it again while typing this. It occurs every minute.
-
Chesta • 0 Reputation points
2024-11-11T11:47:57.5966667+00:00 So it’s the background slideshow, every time the picture changes it will take you back to the top of the folder you’re in. :D don’t have a slideshow. I had mine set to change every minute so you can imagine how frustrating that got!!
-
IsaWo • 0 Reputation points
2024-12-05T15:24:34.4333333+00:00 Same here. Since the latest update. When do we get paid for wasting our life and work time with this s%&@
-
-
SteveB • 0 Reputation points
2025-01-16T12:41:51.5633333+00:00 This is a problem accross the board.... explorer, outlook, calendar, word etc etc.... please fix it disabling one drive is not a solution when we use it for bussiness.... Win 11 24h2 PRO.
-
Ron Bissett • 0 Reputation points
2025-03-25T23:58:19.6266667+00:00 While working on image files, after opening one file I then highlight another file and the window will not scroll to the top after saving the file I am working on. Occassionally forget to highlight another file and it scrolls up on saving the edited file.
-
Bob Moore • 0 Reputation points
2025-03-29T12:35:00.1433333+00:00 In Windows 11, go to Bluetooth & Devices > Mouse, go down to 'Scroll Inactive Windows When Hovering Over Them' and deselect. Come out of Settings. problem should now be fixed. :)
-
c... ...w • 0 Reputation points
2025-04-07T19:57:29.1733333+00:00 The issue is OneDrive because it's always refreshing to sync files/settings. I unlinked my PC from OneDrive and the issue has stopped. So simply unlink your PC from OneDrive should fix the issue. Here's how:
Windows 10/11
Select the OneDrive cloud in your notification area to show the OneDrive pop-up.
Select the OneDrive Help and Settings icon then select Settings.
Go to the Account tab.
Select Unlink this PC, and then select __Unlink account__.
-
Gary Nothdurft • 0 Reputation points
2025-07-01T13:02:31.5166667+00:00 I found that unchecking the "Automatically pick an accent color from my background option" worked for me with this issue.
-
[email protected] • 1 Reputation point
2025-08-19T17:33:16.24+00:00 "Clear file explorer history" in the file explorer options has worked for me on a few computers.
-
Paul Taslimi • 0 Reputation points
2026-01-18T03:29:33.78+00:00 I figured this out. First go to settings and find display drivers. Mine was and intel IRIS xe. I switch to the generic windows graphics driver. Then went back in to the same place and asked it to update the driver. It reinstalled the intel IRIS xe. Now I don't get the snap back.
17 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Roy Varley • 0 Reputation points
2024-07-05T08:17:54.75+00:00 Turn off slideshow in personalise settings for desktop. It works!
-
Ralph Handscomb • 5 Reputation points
2024-08-08T16:59:29.6233333+00:00 This seemed to work but it is more a workaround than a fix. I like the slideshows but why must I sacrifice that to sort out something that Microsoft is too lazy to do?
-
-
Pete Holmes • 0 Reputation points
2024-04-07T11:37:17.4266667+00:00 I understand that this thread refers to Windows 11. However, I have seen similar concerns from Windows 7 & 10 users - I use Windows 7. The problem has been bugging me for a coouple of weeks & was still an issue even after changing various settings and powering down my keyboard & mouse (both wireless) etc. Then it occurred to me that I hadn't tried powering down the usb mouse/keyboard wireless receiver. Once I'd removed & re-inserted the receiver all was well again.
0 comments No comments -
Jam • 0 Reputation points
2023-06-29T08:55:57.09+00:00 I had the same issue and none of the above seemed to work. Turned out that my one drive wasn't logged in (as i had a password change and hadn't updated the onedrive login) and it kept refreshing windows explorer. I logged my one drive back in and it sorted it.
0 comments No comments -
Panagiotis Tseles • 0 Reputation points
2023-03-25T10:01:11.34+00:00 Same here. HP laptop. I tried several solutions. None worked , but....
- Resizing file explorer window did have positive effects
- Uninstalling Intel Graphics Driver and rolling back to a Default Windows driver did improve the situation
Hope that helps
-
Mike Wooton • 5 Reputation points
2023-06-07T13:35:17.6633333+00:00 I just tried this and it worked: https://geeksoncommand.com/windows-10-folder-jumps-to-the-top-solved/
-