Windows 11 File Explorer jumps to top when scrolling

RMT4160 91 Reputation points
2022-11-20T18:31:05.403+00:00

When I am scrolling through a long list of project files, if I don't pick a folder or keep scrolling, the display will jump back up to the top and I have to start all over again. This has apparently been a bug since Windows 10 because I see solutions suggested in a Google search. The solution suggested for the 10 system does not work for 11. The suggested solution for 10 is uncheck the "Automatically pick an accent color from my background option" check box under Choose your accent color which I assume is equivalent to choosing "Manual" in the "Auto/Man" selection of Accent Color in Windows 11.

Windows for business | Windows Client for IT Pros | User experience | Other

Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

17 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Kevin 0 Reputation points
    2024-07-25T15:27:26.4866667+00:00

    I had this same issue in a network environment whenever I started a new tab in Win 11 file explorer it would jump up to the top after a few seconds of scrolling and then be okay after. What worked for me was in the options of file explorer under the general tab. At the top there is a pull down for "Open File Explorer to:" and it was set to Home. I changed it to "This PC" and it seems to have fixed the problem. This is for Win 11 22H2. Hope this helps out someone! It's a very annoying problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Patrick M 0 Reputation points
    2024-08-01T18:30:01.16+00:00

    I have WSL2/Ubuntu installed, and I notice I have this problem with explorer jumping back to the top... until I open an Ubuntu command prompt window, and then the issue is solved even if I exit out of the Ubuntu/WSL2 window until I restart again. Lol what the hecks?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Pete Holmes 0 Reputation points
    2024-04-07T11:37:17.4266667+00:00

    I understand that this thread refers to Windows 11. However, I have seen similar concerns from Windows 7 & 10 users - I use Windows 7. The problem has been bugging me for a coouple of weeks & was still an issue even after changing various settings and powering down my keyboard & mouse (both wireless) etc. Then it occurred to me that I hadn't tried powering down the usb mouse/keyboard wireless receiver. Once I'd removed & re-inserted the receiver all was well again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Jam 0 Reputation points
    2023-06-29T08:55:57.09+00:00

    I had the same issue and none of the above seemed to work. Turned out that my one drive wasn't logged in (as i had a password change and hadn't updated the onedrive login) and it kept refreshing windows explorer. I logged my one drive back in and it sorted it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Panagiotis Tseles 0 Reputation points
    2023-03-25T10:01:11.34+00:00

    Same here. HP laptop. I tried several solutions. None worked , but....

    1. Resizing file explorer window did have positive effects
    2. Uninstalling Intel Graphics Driver and rolling back to a Default Windows driver did improve the situation

    Hope that helps

    Was this answer helpful?