Authenticator Stuck in Loop

Matthasaqq 331 Reputation points
2022-09-21T18:31:46.1+00:00

My Authenticator recently stopped working properly. This happened after I switched to a new phone. iPhone 12 to iPhone 14.

When I try to log into my work email, it says I need to use Authenticator to authenticate. When Authenticator pops up…it also asks me to authenticate via Authenticator.

I’m assuming there’s some kind of app refresh or permission that needs to be unlocked.

I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the app. And I’ve reset my phone. I’ve tried searching the forums, going through Chat, and even calling (which pointed me back to Chat…because MSFT doesn’t support calls??). Nada.

Can anyone help?

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Authenticator

7 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-09-21T19:19:54.83+00:00

    Ok, well hard to say what might have happened. You can try Sign in to your account but select the Sign in another way link (assumes one was setup) on the Two-factor verification page.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-billing/common-problems-with-two-step-verification-for-a-work-or-school-account-63acbb9b-16a1-47b9-8619-6a865e8071a5

    otherwise contact the account admins to reset your account's two factor.

    --please don't forget to upvote and Accept as answer if the reply is helpful--

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Anonymous
    2022-09-21T18:34:04.45+00:00

    You can restore from backup (assuming there was one) but make sure no accounts have been added to the newly install app. Then sign on with recovery account to do the restore.

    You can recover your account credentials from your cloud account, but you must first make sure that the account you're recovering doesn't exist in the Microsoft Authenticator app. For example, if you're recovering your personal Microsoft account, you must make sure you don't have a personal Microsoft account already set up in the authenticator app. This check is important so we can be sure we're not overwriting or erasing an existing account by mistake.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-billing/back-up-and-recover-account-credentials-in-the-authenticator-app-bb939936-7a8d-4e88-bc43-49bc1a700a40

    --please don't forget to upvote and Accept as answer if the reply is helpful--

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.