I have a repeating popup in windows 11

Mike Cole 0 Reputation points
2026-10-10T00:08:59.34+00:00

It says "edit resources of exe has stopped working" with an option to close the program which I do. Then 5 minutes later, another and another. I am fairly computer literate but this has me stumped.

Windows for business | Windows 365 Business
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Tracy Le 13,530 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-10-10T00:37:00.1433333+00:00

Hello Mike Cole,

The message itself does not identify which application is failing. However, because it reappears every five minutes, it is likely that a scheduled task, updater, or background application is repeatedly trying to run and crashing each time.

I would start by opening Reliability Monitor (search for "View reliability history" from the Start menu). Click one of the recent failures and select "View technical details". That should show the name and location of the executable that is generating the error. You can also check Event Viewer under Windows Logs > Application for corresponding Application Error events.

Once the application has been identified, the usual fix is to update, repair, or reinstall that specific program rather than troubleshoot Windows itself. If the executable is running from a temporary folder or an unexpected location, I would also recommend running a Microsoft Defender scan as a precaution.

Tracy Le.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

0 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.