Hi,
I will walk through a few steps with you. Some of these are just to help figure out what is wrong, not to fix it right away. So if nothing changes after a step, that is normal. I will keep going until we solve it.
A File History issue seems to be solved with the latest update which is optional right now:
https://yourwindowsguide.com/2026/09/file-history-not-working-after-september-update.html
23-September: Fixed with the Windows 11 Optional update:
- [File History (known issue)] Fixed: This update addresses an issue where File History might fail to back up or restore files to an external drive or network location. Affected devices might incorrectly display a “Reconnect your drive” message even when a compatible backup drive is connected and working properly.
May I know if you have installed the latest update?
I hope this information helps. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to reach out. Wishing you good luck!
A Windows MVP writes content on the above website, so it is safe. However, do watch out for the ads. It should translate into your Browser language automatically.