Windows 10 or Windows 11 Retail License Purchase After Win10 Support Has Expired

f x 0 Reputation points
2026-10-06T16:00:39.7633333+00:00

I own Win10 Home Edition. I am using the OS that was purchased with my PC from a retail store. This is my problem:

I want to perform significant hardware changes such as changing the motherboard and I know that this will create a problem with my current Win10 activation because I did not purchase a retail license. I want to buy a retail license from Microsoft now. I was told by Google AI that this could always be done in the future by upgrading to Windows 11. I tried to upgrade to Windows 11 and then found out that my processor on my motherboard was not supported for a Win11 upgrade, therefore, upgrading to Win11 will not resolve my Win10 retail license issue. All I want to do is own a retail Win10 license, I do not care about upgrading to Windows 11. However, I will pay for any new OS in order to accomplish the task of owning a retail Win10 license. I want to "mitigate" a potential future activation issue with Microsoft before I make any new hardware changes on my PC system. Therefore, how do I contact Microsoft Corp. directly through email and work through the Microsoft system so that it is not possible for there to be a Win10 activation problem when I make a future hardware change that will trigger a potential Win10 (or other MS OS version) activation issue. Please direct me to a method that will create a direct link between myself and Microsoft personnel (not AI or other computerized method, that may become de-activated at a future date resulting in a non-functional PC system) so that I will complete the "retail license purchase" objective. It is my belief that Microsoft Corp. should have anticipated that this problem would arise and should have created a webpage for this particular situation. Note that, at this time (10/6/2025) , Win11 is the current, up to date, OS on the market today.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. CrazyKats 19,925 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-10-06T16:25:10.9333333+00:00

    Hi,

    Please don't create duplicate threads

    about the same issue. Your other thread

    has been marked as a duplicate.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.