Discovery and cancelling of old azure trial subscriptions

Daniel Bennett 0 Reputation points
2026-10-05T12:41:19.3+00:00

I have been doing the md-102 with trial accounts and as far as I remember, cancelled the trials. I thought I had closed down the old accounts and no longer have access to them now. (or the emails they were attached to - perhaps an error on my part).

I have received a recurring bill this month but I cannot trace it - so its not associated with anything I am actively doing but I don't know the domain or email address associated with where this charge comes from, I also don't have the mfa for it anymore as my intent was to close it down and I thought I had.

All I have is the charge reference. I tried online first and the person I got connected to in chat said I needed to go via a phone number for commercial. This was another bot - that refused to put me onto anyone and kept pushing me back to help online which sent me there in the first place.

I really need to end this subscription if its still active, particularly as I am currently unemployed -and more drastically I would have to cancel the credit card itself if I am unable to stop the charge. Though this may cause its own problems and trying to avoid that.

It was probably a mistake on my part not to keep details but I thought I had closed everything down correctly.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | Other | Windows
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Engla Wahlberg Burlin 80 Reputation points
    2026-10-06T06:29:04.3833333+00:00

    If you still have access to the credit card statement, Microsoft Billing Support may be able to locate the subscription from the charge details. The charge reference, transaction date, amount, and the card used are often more useful than trying to remember old tenant names or email addresses.

    If the subscription is found, support can help identify the associated account and discuss available options for cancelling it. Cancelling the card should generally be considered a last resort, as it may not automatically resolve the underlying subscription.

    Please provide the billing descriptor shown on the statement (for example, the exact "MSFT..." reference), the charge amount, and whether the subscription was likely a personal Azure subscription or linked to a Microsoft 365 tenant. That will help determine the best next step.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  2. Daniel Bennett 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-06T08:11:55.42+00:00

    The problem I have is getting through to someone to ask the question. Microsoft help took me to a chat bot where I spoke to a real person who sent me to a phone link (because its commercial). I phoned the number, and its another bot that kept sending me back to microsoft help. I have been unable to speak to a human directly about it.

    Its a microsoft-gxxxxxxx reference rather than msft they were trial subscriptions that I was certain I cancelled when I got billed accidentally last month for going over the 30 days. Its possible it may well be the remainder of that bill being completed as it was much smaller but the reference is different to the month before so I can't see how it relates to it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.