Only administrator locked out of Microsoft 365 Education after changing phones — need help resetting MFA

Anej 0 Reputation points
2026-10-05T08:21:29.3033333+00:00

Hello,

I am unable to sign in to the Microsoft 365 admin center after replacing my phone. My old phone no longer works, and I cannot complete the Microsoft Authenticator verification on my new phone.

We are just starting to use Microsoft 365 for Education, and my account is currently the only account registered in our organisation. I am therefore the only administrator, and there is no other administrator who can reset my MFA settings.

I have been trying to contact Microsoft support for two weeks without success. The automated phone system usually does not connect me to a support representative. After approximately 27 attempts, I reached someone once, but the call ended while they were trying to record the spelling of my name, before my issue could be addressed.

Because I cannot sign in, I also cannot submit a support request through the admin center.

Could someone please advise:

  • How can I reach the support team responsible for recovering access when the only administrator is locked out?
  • How can I request an MFA reset and verify that I am authorised to administer the organisation?
  • Is there a way to open a support case without signing in to the admin center?

Thank you for your help.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For education | Other
0 comments No comments

3 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Roebe Ta 1,545 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-05T08:48:24.8566667+00:00

    Hello @Anej,

    I'm sorry to hear that your only Global Administrator account is locked out.

    In this case, you will need to contact the Microsoft Data Protection team, as they are the only group authorized and equipped with the necessary tools and verification procedures to confirm your identity and restore administrator access.

    I understand that you're having trouble when using the automatic phone support system. To help, I'd like to share the prompt that has successfully helped many other users reach the Data Protection Team and create a support request:

    1. Find the related hotline number for your country to call the frontline and let them raise a ticket for you: Customer service phone numbers - Microsoft Support 

    2. Depending on your country or region:

    For some countries, when calling the support number, although there are about 30 seconds opening as something "you can visit the link...." But you can ignore this opening and wait until the option, then "1" as a business email user, "1" again for technical help.   

    For some countries, it will be an automated conversation like:    

    • First, when you call the hotline, it asks what kind of problem you are worried about.   
    • Answered: authenticator.   
    • A: What kind of product are you using?   
    • B: Microsoft 365 for education.   
    • A confirmation: education or company account?   
    • B: For education
    • A: Are you an administrator?   
    • B: Yes.   
    • A: Do you have the other admin in your organization?   
    • B: No.   
    • A: You need one.... Service request?   
    • B: Yes   

    Important note:

    • You may need to call multiple times before you are connected to a live support representative and can successfully create a support request with a ticket number for tracking. 
    • If calling the support line in your region is difficult, you may try another regional support number that offers service in your language, or contact the English support line if you’re comfortable speaking English. 
    • If your subscription is from a partner or reseller, contact the reseller's support provider to help open a service request on behalf of you instead.   

    If you have trouble using the frontline support, you can try set up a new trial tenant and submit your support request: Compare Office 365 Enterprise Pricing and Plans | Microsoft 365. 

    User's image

    Once the new tenant is created, navigate to Microsoft 365 Admin center and create a support request: Get support - Microsoft 365 admin | Microsoft Learn . During the process, you must clearly state that you are locked out of a different, pre-existing Microsoft 365 tenant where you are the administrator. Provide the following information about your locked account:      

    • The domain name of your locked tenant     
    • Your administrator account. 
    • Any error messages you are receiving.    
    • Details about the authentication issues you are experiencing.    
    • Your proof of ownership. 

    Important notes:

    • This new trial tenant will not give you access to any of the data or settings in your original locked tenant. It is solely a temporary means to contact Microsoft support.  
    • Be prepared for Microsoft support to ask for verification of your identity and administrative rights for the locked tenant.    
    • The resolution time might be longer as you are contacting support from a different tenant.    
    • Remember to cancel the trial subscription for the new tenant once your issue with the original account is resolved to avoid any unintended charges. You can typically do this within the Microsoft 365 Admin Center under "Billing" -> "Your products."  

    I’d like to clarify that I don't represent Microsoft, I do not have access to user sign-in logs, cannot reset MFA, revoke access, or contact Microsoft Support/Data Protection Team on your behalf. Please consider me an end user as well, providing guidance based on experience and documented processes.

    I hope you'll be able to reach the Data Protection team this way. If you still have any issue, please don't hesitate to reply.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Samiya mariyam 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-05T08:38:32.0466667+00:00

    Ask another Global Administrator to reset your MFA so you can register Authenticator on the new phone if you are the only admin, contact Microsoft Supports Data Protection team for tenant recovery

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Fatema Essa 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-05T08:26:48.2166667+00:00

    I cannot get the code

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.