SoleGlobalAdministrator lockedout

Misha Kashaf 0 Reputation points
2026-10-03T13:48:27.4566667+00:00

I am the sole Global Administrator of our Microsoft 365 Business Basic tenant and I am completely locked out of the admin account.

Admin account: [Moderator note: Personally Identifiable Information removed]@mielensilta.onmicrosoft.com Microsoft tenant domain: mielensilta.onmicrosoft.com Organisation domain: mielensiltary.fi

The problem is with Microsoft Authenticator. My work account is not properly registered in Authenticator. When I try to add/register the account, Microsoft asks me to approve a number-matching request in the Authenticator app. However, because the account is not properly registered in Authenticator, the approval request never appears.

I have no alternative verification method available and there is no other Global Administrator who can reset my authentication methods.

When I try to sign in, I receive Error Code 500121.

I still have access to the external Gmail address where Microsoft sends our Microsoft 365 Business Basic invoices, so I can provide proof of subscription and tenant/domain ownership if required.

Could a Microsoft moderator please advise how I can have this escalated for sole Global Administrator/tenant recovery and an MFA registration reset?

I can provide the Request ID, Correlation ID, timestamp, billing information, DNS/domain verification and any other proof of ownership privately if required.

Thank you.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | MacOS
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Teddie Dang 1,365 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-03T13:54:17.3+00:00

    Hi @Misha Kashaf

    According to your situation, since you are the only Global Administrator and you are completely locked out from the tenant. So, only Microsoft Support team can help you in this MFA issue. You might need to contact them via phone service number: Customer service phone numbers - Microsoft Support. The agent will be able to create a ticket for you under the affected tenant and then transfer this ticket to Data Protection team who could help you to regain access.  

    When a call is made to support, the first step is to provide an automated voice response from AI. Be careful, you won't be able to speak to a support representative if you don't respond appropriately here. 

    Here's an example of a response that actually led to a support representative. Please refer to it:

    Q. Can you tell me if you are calling as a home user who uses a product or service at home or a business user who uses it in your business to provide the best assistance? 
    A.I am a business user. 
    Q. Thank you. Can you give me the details of your inquiry? 
    A. Login technical support. 
    Q. First of all, can you tell me which products you are inquiring about today? 
    A. Microsoft 365 business Standard。 
    Q. Please wait a moment, I understand Microsoft 365. Are you calling about a new case or an existing one? 
    A. New. 
    Q. To receive phone support, your phone number must be associated with your Microsoft 365 admin profile. To do this, go to aka.ms/m365profile. Again, it aka.ms/m365profile . This can take 48 hours. In the meantime, you can go to aka.ms/m365profile and file a case online. If you prefer, you can also text the link to the phone number you are calling. What do you think? 
    A. The phone number is already linked to the link. 
    Q. Can you tell me about the products in your inquiry? 
    A. Microsoft 365 Business Standard. 
    Q. Are you a Global Administrator? 
    A. That's right. 
    Q. I'm sorry. I didn't understand. Are you a global administrator for your domain? 
    A. Yes, I am a global administrator for the domain. 
    Q. If you have any inquiries, you can contact a Microsoft representative. Are you sure? 
    A. Yes. Please. 
    Q. Yes, I understand. Please wait a moment.
    

    Please note that this team is always overwhelmed, so you might need to wait for them to call you, this should take 3-10 working days. I know that this is not a convenient solution to hear but it seems to be the only way, and it's recommended that you should have a secondary/backup Global Administrator to fix this issue on your own.    

    In case the phone line is not supportive, you can consider directly submitting a support request as a helpful workaround: 

    -Create a temporary Microsoft 365 tenant using a trial license: Go to Microsoft 365 Business Plans and Pricing and click Try for free to set up a temporary Microsoft 365 tenant with a trial license.    

    -Use this new account to sign in to the Microsoft 365 Admin Center and submit a support request on behalf of your primary (locked) account.   

    -Click Help & Support

    -If Support Assistant opens, toggle/turn off the Support Assistant option.

    -In the search box, type Support and click →.

    -Look for and select Contact support.

    -You should then be given the option to choose your preferred contact method, such as Email or Phone.

    Note: This method doesn't require you to use your new account for your business. Instead, it allows you to create a temporary global administrator account so you can submit a support request, as your original global administrator account is locked out due to issues with multi-factor authentication. The trial account is free for one month. Be sure to delete it after submitting your support request to avoid any automatic renewals or charges from Microsoft.     

    For further instructions, you can follow this guide: Get support - Microsoft 365 admin | Microsoft Learn.   

    Since this is a user-to-user support forum, I do not have access to internal databases or the ability to escalate cases directly to Microsoft’s internal teams. Therefore, please kindly contact the Microsoft Support team for the most efficient help.   

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.