Account Compromised - Phone number accessed by someone else to change password, Microsoft Account Security won’t help

Emilee Black 0 Reputation points
2026-10-03T05:28:18.6533333+00:00

I made a Microsoft account like 4 years ago while overseas on student exchange. For the sole purpose of purchasing Minecraft to play with my younger sibling. Never ended up using it since I had a Mac and my sibling was Xbox. I forgot all about this account for that reason. I have since made a new account and use Minecraft there.

Yesterday I received an email that my password had been changed on that old account. Of course, it wasn’t me. It said the security info used was the phone number, the one I had when I was overseas. I obviously don’t have access to that number anymore and haven’t in years. Clearly, someone who has that phone number now has received the security code texted to that number, signed in, and changed the password. It must be appearing to Account Security that there was no unauthorised access since the phone number was used. BUT IT WASN’T ME.

I have submitted multiple recovery forms, all failed with no unauthorised access or fraud detected. I have had 3 different case numbers already, it has been escalated higher, I followed those instructions to reply to the email with the SIR number with the investigation results from Microsoft Account Security and essentially tell them it’s compromised, ask for reconsideration, give all the evidence I can. I have done that multiple times, I have a huge amount of evidence that I am the account holder and not the one who changed the password, things only I could know, and I get auto replies saying the case was already closed. Nothing moves on from there. The hackers have probably already changed the security information.

SOMEBODY HELP ME! A HUMAN!!

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Entra | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Newest
  1. Atharv Shukla 0 Reputation points Microsoft Intern
    2026-10-03T06:09:34.4233333+00:00

    Hi Emilee,

    I understand how frustrating this is, especially since the security code was sent to a phone number you no longer own.

    Since you’ve already tried the recovery form multiple times, I recommend using the Microsoft Account Sign-in Helper with the affected account. It can identify the appropriate recovery options based on the sign-in issue.

    Microsoft Account Sign-in Helper: https://aka.ms/sign-in-helper

    If you’re able to submit the recovery form again, provide as much accurate historical information about the account as possible. Please don’t post passwords, verification codes, billing details, or other sensitive information publicly.

    Recovery form guidance: https://support.microsoft.com/account-billing/help-with-the-microsoft-account-recovery-form-b19c02d1-a782-dee6-93c3-dc8113b20c42

    Also note that Microsoft Support cannot manually send password-reset links or directly change account details, so account ownership still needs to be verified through the supported recovery process.

    For additional guidance: https://support.microsoft.com/account-billing/how-to-recover-a-hacked-or-compromised-microsoft-account-d709a504-2234-20f3-344e-5ad91e999d7b

    Hope this helps you get the account through the correct recovery path.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.