Highlights do not work in Dark Mode on OneNote

Derek Sikorski 20 Reputation points
2026-10-02T20:06:14.9066667+00:00

When switching between light and dark mode on OneNote, marks drawn the highlighter drawing tool are nearly illegible. Below, I have attached an example of text where the highlight becomes nearly impossible to read when switching from light to dark mode.

I have seen references to this issue for nearly 6 years now, but there still doesn't appear to be a fix. I'd like an update on why that is, and when we can expect to have a fix.

I'll also note that other note-taking apps seemingly have this issue resolved.

Example in light modeExample in dark mode

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For education | Windows

Answer accepted by question author
Lin v 1,550 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-10-02T20:30:49.6633333+00:00

Hi Derek,

Based on my research, at this time, there does not appear to be any Microsoft-published information indicating that a specific update addressing this behavior is currently in development or scheduled for release.

As members of this community do not have visibility into unannounced product roadmaps, we cannot provide an ETA for when, or if, a fix will be implemented.

Additionally, since this forum primarily focuses on providing peer-to-peer support and troubleshooting assistance, I'd like to point you to the appropriate channel for submitting product feedback: the Feedback Portal (Feedback Hub).

User's image

You can submit your suggestion there and follow the feedback item for future updates. In many cases, the Microsoft product team may provide status updates in the comments, particularly when a suggestion receives significant community support and votes.

If you decide to submit feedback, you're welcome to share the feedback link here and upvote this post if you found this response help guide you to the appropriate feedback channel. This will allow me and other community members to review the suggestion and add our votes, helping increase its visibility to the product team.

I hope this information is helpful.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.