Alerts Are not sending from one of My Alert Rules to My Email, but are Sending from Another

Anders 0 Reputation points
2026-10-01T16:58:04.7666667+00:00

Hello,

I am working with Azure Alerts, and I've seen some odd behavior with delivery of emails to my team over the last week or so. This could have been happening for longer but only recently I've been made aware of it.

On Sept. 29th 2026, I received an Alert to the foundry technical team email alert rule which emails a list of technical users within my company. This was delivered successfully:image

After seeing this was not delivered to my email, I tried to send test alerts from the Action Group foundry technical team email, and these were also not delivered.

I have verified that the email is not unsubscribed in the action group settings, and I have had more instances of alerts triggering to the foundry technical team email since then, and nothing has been delivered. Test alerts do get delivered to my personal email which is used in another action group rule when I attempt.

Is there a setting I'm missing, or a type of alert that is being filtered out? I cannot see anything in my research that should indicate that these should be blocked.

Thanks!

Azure Monitor
Azure Monitor

An Azure service that is used to collect, analyze, and act on telemetry data from Azure and on-premises environments.

0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. AI answer

    2026-10-01T16:58:26.3066667+00:00

    Since the alert fired and the action group shows as triggered, focus on email delivery rather than alert rule evaluation.

    Check these items in order:

    1. In Azure portal, open the fired alert and review the History tab.
      • Confirm the email action was not suppressed by an alert processing rule.
      • If suppression appears there, adjust or remove the rule.
    2. Test whether the problem is specific to the team mailbox or distribution list.
      • Add a regular work mailbox to the same action group, not just the team email list.
      • If the regular mailbox receives the alert but the team address does not, the issue is likely with the team mailbox or mail filtering.
    3. Verify external sender filtering on the team mailbox or distribution list.
      • Azure Monitor recommends allowing these sender addresses in spam filtering and mail security systems:
      • Internal mailing lists and distribution lists commonly block external senders.
    4. Check mailbox and mail flow rules.
      • Review inbox rules that might delete or move the messages.
      • Check spam, quarantine, sender limits, and security appliance filtering in systems such as Exchange or Microsoft 365.
    5. Reconfirm the recipient did not unsubscribe from the action group.
      • Since this was already checked, keep it as a validation point only.
    6. Use test your action group in the Azure portal again after adding a normal mailbox.
      • If test notifications still fail only for the team address, that strongly indicates mail filtering or distribution-list restrictions rather than an Azure Monitor alert-type issue.
    7. If Azure reports a notification error such as permanent delivery failure or delivery status could not be verified, file a support ticket.

    Based on the described behavior, the most likely causes are:

    • the team email address is a distribution list or shared mailbox blocking external senders
    • spam, quarantine, or transport rules are catching the messages
    • an alert processing rule is suppressing that action for some alerts

    There is nothing in the provided guidance indicating that one Azure Monitor alert type should be filtered differently at the Azure side when the action group is triggered successfully.


    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.