Why is Windows forcing an update for a driver I never installed?

Alessio Erioli 0 Reputation points
2026-10-01T16:57:52.8933333+00:00

2026-10-01 18_44_25-Settings

As you can see from the attached image, Windows (Windows Home 25H2) is notifying me that a Logitech Software Component Driver Update will be installed automatically on the next Window update.

Although I have a Logitech mouse, I never installed Logitech drivers; I don't want to and I don't need them, the mouse is working perfectly as is with the standard Microsoft driver.

So, why is Windows forcing this driver installation, and what can I do to prevent it?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update
0 comments No comments

3 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Mike A 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-09T08:00:15.6266667+00:00

    I'm having the same predicament. I don't want or need the LogiOptions or any other downloader installing and running itself independently. I paired a Logitech BlueTooth mouse with a laptop that had a brand new and clean Windows 11 2026H2 running. The next day there are two separate Logitech applications that appear in my Installed Apps list that I did not install or even download myself. Now the same update ["Logitech SoftwareComponent Driver Update (2.0.1020.0)" ] is pending in my Windows Updates.

    I've uninstalled the Logitech apps. When I try to use the deprecated "show/hide updates" utility above, it can see a couple of other pending updates, but the Logitech entry is not included. I tried another tip using a PowerShell command that also surfaces pending updates. This picked the same updates as the utility, and also did not find or include this pending Logitech update, so you can't even hide/block this update using the standard PowerShell approach.

    It seems like Logitech has gone through some effort here to make sure that consumers and even system admins cannot easily sidestep the auto-download-and-silently-install-and-then-always-run-at-startup nature of their "driver" packages that are more like full-scale software suites. And you can't even argue that this makes the device more secure. Autostarting background software increases the attack surface much more than a basic and static INF file ever would, at least when it comes to the functions of a relatively simple wireless mouse.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Ramesh Srinivasan 88,635 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-01T17:41:47.9+00:00

    Hi Alessio,

    If you don't want to install the Logitech mouse driver via Windows Update, you can block it using a Microsoft diagcab tool.

    Download Microsoft's wushowhide.diagcab tool from the following link:

    https://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab

    Run the file, and click Next.

    Click Hide Updates.

    Select Logitech SoftwareComponent driver from the list.

    Click Next.

    Restart Windows and check for updates again.


    Note: If Microsoft Edge blocks the diagcab file, right-click on the notification and click Keep.

    User's image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Bulldog 4,865 Reputation points
    2026-10-01T17:27:53.9366667+00:00

    Let me help you with this.

    Windows detects your mouse even if you don't install a driver. All hardware is designed to identify itself to the operating system (there's even a standard naming convention) and the operating system records the identity of all connected hardware (even if not currently connected).

    You are not seeing a mouse driver per se. It's an update to a Logitech software component which includes a driver. Not all drivers are installed by users.

    Logitech software could be on your computer for (at least) two reasons:

    • It's already included in Windows - The operating system ships with code for very many hardware devices. That's how 'plug and play' happens.
    • At one time during your computer's life, it might have had some Logitech hardware or software, even if it was ultimately uninstalled.

    The update comes to you from Logitech (so you should direct any complaints to them) not Microsoft. Microsoft does not have the proprietary knowledge (or the legal right) to write drivers for other company's hardware. In effect, Logitech is saying to Microsoft "here, take this and install it".

    No harm is caused to your computer by accepting this update. If it's being offered to you, that means it's safe for your computer.

    For all these reasons, the safest thing to do is to let the update install. It's best to take the long view about this: If you deny or delete this update, you don't gain anything. But if you ever at any time install software from Logitech, it could be affected by this missing update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.