Unable to add funds to my child's XBOX account

Ryan Gildersleeve 0 Reputation points
2026-09-30T00:19:32.6+00:00

Whenever I try to add funds to my child's XBOX account, I experience an error message saying:

Contact us at Microsoft support

We’re having trouble processing your payment and we’d like to get it sorted out. Get more info

1dRyWwy2H0+TXtKY.14.433.5

Wed, 30 Sep 2026 00:06:17 GMT

I have tried using the Family Safety app as well as Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge web browsers. I have cleared the cache, verified payment information, even deleted my stored cards and added them again. Nothing works. This has been an ongoing problem when using the Family Safety app, but now I can't get it to work in a web browser either, which typically resolved the issue in the past.

I am currently in another country and trying to send my son some money for his game(s), but I can't get it to work. I do not understand why I continue to experience issues like this with Microsoft.

Please advise on the recommended next steps.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Microsoft Family Safety | Other | Windows
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. AI answer

    2026-09-30T00:19:55.12+00:00

    Use this path first, since browser/app retries, cache clearing, and re-adding cards were already tried:

    1. Sign in with the family organizer account at family.microsoft.com.
    2. Open the child’s profile and select Add money or Manage spending > Add Money.
    3. On the same Spending page, use a payment method listed under Child's payment methods. If needed, add it there with How to add a card.
    4. If Manage spending appears, the child already has some balance. If Add money appears, the balance is currently zero.

    Then check the payment blockers Microsoft documents for purchase failures:

    1. On the Payment options page, confirm the card is current.
    2. On the Services page, confirm there are no overdue subscription payments.
    3. Confirm the organizer account is not temporarily suspended.
    4. If the child uses Xbox, confirm the Xbox account is not suspended.
    5. If using PayPal, it must have a credit card or confirmed bank account as its funding source.

    Because the issue now fails in both the Family Safety app and web browsers, and the error explicitly says to contact support, the recommended next step is Microsoft Support. The documented support route is:

    1. Go to Contact Microsoft Support.
    2. Enter the problem and select Get Help.
    3. If needed, select Contact Support to be routed to the best support option.

    A practical workaround, if funds are needed immediately, is to add money by redeeming a Microsoft gift card on the Redeem page. For a child account, Microsoft also points to the family add-money flow instead of direct transfer. Keep in mind Microsoft account balance limits apply: up to USD 1,000 equivalent can be added or spent per day, and the maximum stored balance is USD 1,000 equivalent, with some country-specific exceptions.

    Since travel was mentioned, country or region restrictions can also temporarily prevent redeeming money or making purchases when local limits are exceeded.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.