Virtual Machine Retirement and Pricing Changes: Clarification Needed

Joseph Byrne 0 Reputation points
2026-09-29T12:59:53.1133333+00:00

Problem description

I am seeking information about whether any of our current Windows virtual machines are scheduled to be retired in 2029 or if their prices will increase in 2027. I received an email about Azure VM series retirements and price changes and want to understand how it affects my resources.

Environment

Service: Virtual Machine running Windows; Region: not specified; Resource details: not provided.

What I've already tried

I reviewed the case record, which did not include specific impacted VM details, notification tracking ID, or a list of current VM series. I also checked the 'Reservation Transactions' but did not find relevant entries. I have not tried any other troubleshooting steps.

Current status

I am looking for confirmation on the retirement schedule and price changes for my current Windows VMs. I need specific information on the VM series in use and whether they are affected by the notices, to plan accordingly.

Azure Virtual Machines
Azure Virtual Machines

An Azure service that is used to provision Windows and Linux virtual machines.

0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. kagiyama yutaka 5,570 Reputation points
    2026-09-30T07:14:01.07+00:00

    I think the 2029 date depends on the VM series. For Azure public cloud, DCsv3/DCdsv3 retire on Oct 31, 2029, while Dv3/Dsv3/Ev3/Esv3 retire on Nov 15, 2029. The current VM SKU would help narrow down which retirement applies. The 2027 pricing change can’t be identified without the original notice. Could you share the VM SKU and the notice?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Salamat Shah 750 Reputation points MVP
    2026-09-29T17:30:56.2433333+00:00

    The impact depends on the specific VM series and reservation type. Microsoft has announced retirement schedules for certain older VM series, while pricing changes can also depend on reservation eligibility and expiration dates.

    Recommended:

    Check Azure Advisor → Service Retirement and your VM sizes in the Azure portal to identify affected resources. For pricing, compare the current VM SKUs and reservations using the Azure Pricing Calculator.

    Without the VM names/sizes (SKUs) and the original notification details, it isn't possible to confirm whether your specific Windows VMs are affected.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.