Cloud Shell: Unable to Request a Terminal — Persistent Failure Despite Troubleshooting

Robert-3535 0 Reputation points
2026-09-28T17:35:47.1866667+00:00

Problem description

I am experiencing an issue where Cloud Shell fails to request a terminal session. The error message I receive is: "Sorry, your Cloud Shell failed to request a terminal." This problem has persisted despite multiple troubleshooting steps.

Environment

Azure Cloud Shell, Portal-based session, region not specified in the case information.

What I've already tried

I have reset my user settings multiple times using Settings > Reset User Settings. I have configured Cloud Shell both with and without mounted storage, trying various storage mounting options, including automatic and specified selections. I have tested on multiple browsers (Chrome and Edge) across more than one machine, and the issue persists regardless of the browser or machine. Other peers on the same network and firewall can use Cloud Shell successfully, indicating the problem might be specific to my account/session.

Current status

The failure to request a terminal remains unresolved. I am seeking further assistance to identify the root cause and resolve the issue, possibly involving deeper diagnostics such as network traces or service request analysis.

Azure Cloud Services
Azure Cloud Services

An Azure platform as a service offer that is used to deploy web and cloud applications.

0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Newest
  1. Prasad Chaganti 785 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-29T20:38:34.5+00:00

    Hello Robert-3535,

    Thank you for sharing the additional details and the Developer Tools error.

    I understand that the issue occurs on multiple machines and in both Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome. You have also confirmed that it affects both Bash and PowerShell, occurs through both the Azure portal and shell.azure.com, and that other users on the same network can access Cloud Shell successfully.

    The HTTP 400 response from the Cloud Shell terminal request indicates that we need to review the complete browser trace and isolate whether the failure follows your user account across a different network.

    Could you please provide the following:

    1. Reproduce the issue using a mobile hotspot or another external network and let us know whether the same error occurs.
    2. Capture and upload a complete HAR file while reproducing the issue in Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome.
    3. Share any errors shown under the browser Developer Tools Console tab.
    4. Provide the exact date and UTC time of the new reproduction.

    Please ensure that the HAR file is uploaded only through the secure file-transfer link associated with this support case, as it may contain session-related information.

    Once we receive these details, we will review the trace and engage the Azure Cloud Shell engineering team if backend investigation is required.

    Thank you for your continued cooperation.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.