OneDrive Read-only

Audrey Nguyen 0 Reputation points
2026-09-28T15:29:04.4233333+00:00

My personal OneDrive appears to be stuck in read-only/access-denied mode. I can sign into OneDrive.com and see my files, and they show me as the owner, but I cannot create a new folder. Creating a folder on OneDrive.com returns “Access is denied. Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED).” I also cannot open my OneNote notebooks online because it says I do not have permission, and OneNote cannot sync or create a new notebook. My storage is only 82% full (4.1 GB of 5 GB), so I am not over my storage quota. I have also reproduced the issue in an InPrivate browser window. Please check whether my personal OneDrive is incorrectly in a read-only/frozen state or has an account-level permissions/provisioning problem.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Jeronimo Fuerte 46,730 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-28T19:12:51.28+00:00

    Sorry to hear about this. Could you please confirm a few details about the OneDrive account?

    Were you previously subscribed to Microsoft 365 or another plan that provided more OneDrive storage, and did that subscription recently expire or get cancelled? Also, was your OneDrive storage over quota at any point recently, even if you have now deleted files and are back down to 4.1 GB of 5 GB?

    If you recently freed up space, approximately when did you do that? Please also check whether the OneDrive website shows any message such as account frozen, storage exceeded, read-only, or a prompt to renew/upgrade storage.

    Finally, are you able to delete an existing file from OneDrive.com, or is every change blocked, including creating folders, uploading files, renaming files, and deleting them?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.