Cloud Shell VNet Isolation fails with VnetClientNotSupported after reset and reconfiguration

Robert Mulley 0 Reputation points
2026-09-28T07:03:00.6066667+00:00

Hi,

I can create and use Azure Cloud Shell from the portal without any config. However when I try to assign it to a existing private network I get the below error. I've spent a lot of time with Copilot trying resolve this but no result yet.

Sorry, your Cloud Shell failed to provision: {"code":"VnetClientNotSupported","message":"Your Cloud Shell virtual network (VNet) isolation settings were configured with a newer version that this client does not support. Please open Cloud Shell from the Azure Portal to continue."} Please refresh the page. If the issue persists, please follow the troubleshooting guide Cloud Shell Troubleshooting or file a ticket New support request.

Note, despite the error message, it is being opened from the Azure Portal. Things I've done/observed

  • Microsoft.PowerPlatform registered
  • Microsoft.Relay registered
  • relay namespace recreated
  • subnet recreated and assigned as Microsoft.ContainerInstance/containerGroups
  • storage account attached (fails with a storage account and without)
  • Cloud Shell user settings reset (multiple times)

Any help would be appreciated.

Azure Cloud Services
Azure Cloud Services

An Azure platform as a service offer that is used to deploy web and cloud applications.

0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.