SharePoint List Item Comments

Glenn Maxwell 14,206 Reputation points
2026-09-27T19:47:52.4333333+00:00

Hi All,

I have the following requirement and would appreciate some guidance.

I am trying to add native comments to SharePoint list items programmatically, but I am currently unable to add comments to list items.

I have an Azure App Registration with the following Application (client) ID:

[Moderator note: personally identifiable Information removed]

I have configured the app with the Sites.Selected SharePoint application permission and granted the admin consent. I then accessed the following SharePoint page:

I entered the App ID and granted the following permission:

<AppPermissionRequests>
  <AppPermissionRequest Scope="http://sharepoint/content/sitecollection/web" Right="Write" />
</AppPermissionRequests>

However, the application is still unable to add native comments to SharePoint list items.

Has anyone successfully configured an Azure App Registration with Sites.Selected to add native comments to SharePoint list items? If so, what additional API permission or SharePoint site-level permission is required?

Azure App Configuration
Azure App Configuration

An Azure service that provides hosted, universal storage for Azure app configurations.

0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Taz 10,126 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2026-09-29T07:16:10.0566667+00:00

    Hi Glenn,

    The issue is likely the way the Sites.Selected permission is being granted.

    Adding this XML through the SharePoint App Permissions page:

    <AppPermissionRequests>
      <AppPermissionRequest Scope="http://sharepoint/content/sitecollection/web" Right="Write" />
    </AppPermissionRequests>
    

    does not replace the Sites.Selected resource assignment for an Entra ID application.

    For an Azure App Registration, grant Sites.Selected and then explicitly assign the app Write access to the target SharePoint site using Microsoft Graph:

    POST https://graph.microsoft.com/v1.0/sites/{siteId}/permissions
    
    {
      "roles": ["write"],
      "grantedToIdentities": [
        {
          "application": {
            "id": "<client-id>",
            "displayName": "<app-name>"
          }
        }
      ]
    }
    

    Microsoft documents that Sites.Selected requires both admin consent and an explicit permission assignment on the target site. The write role provides the required write access.

    For SharePoint REST APIs, Microsoft also documents that Sites.Selected can be used after the site-level permission has been configured through the Graph permissions endpoint.

    So I would first remove the dependency on the AppPermissionRequests XML and configure the Entra application using the Sites.Selected + site-level write assignment model.

    There is no separate "Comments" application permission documented for SharePoint list-item comments.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.