Inability to sign in to my Microsoft account, as somebody has logged in and changed my recovery email.

Sara Mesic 0 Reputation points
2026-09-27T10:18:11.7566667+00:00

I was using one of my emails attached to my current Microsoft account. I had no issue signing in and using it. However, approximately 5-10 minutes later, I tried to sign in again. Except this time, it told me my Microsoft account did not exist. I tried to sign in with outlook, and something different happened. it said I had to verify with a recovery email, as shown in the attached image. However, the listed recovery email does not belong to me. I realised that somebody had managed to sign in to my Microsoft account and change my recovery email, therefore making me unable to use it. I have tried to talk to the ai support assistant for Microsoft about this issue however it was not providing me with a response.

User's image

Outlook | MacOS | New Outlook for Mac | For home
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Chloe-V 13,710 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-28T02:01:42.5433333+00:00

    Hi @Sara Mesic

    I’m sorry to hear that you suddenly lost access to your Microsoft account. Seeing an unfamiliar recovery email address is understandably concerning and may indicate that the account’s security information or sign-in details were changed without your permission.

    Please use the Microsoft Account Sign-in Helper. Enter the original email address, phone number, or another alias that was previously associated with the account. The tool will check the account details and provide the recovery or support options available for your situation.

    If you are directed to the account recovery form, complete it from a device and location that you previously used to access the account. Provide as much accurate information as possible, such as previous passwords, exact email subject lines, contacts, Skype details, Xbox information, or Microsoft purchase details. Help with the Microsoft account recovery form

    Please note that this is a user-to-user support forum. Moderators, contributors including external Microsoft employees cannot directly intervene in Microsoft product features or access back-end systems. Our role is limited to providing technical guidance on reported issues, requests, or ideas only.

    I hope the Sign-in Helper provides an available recovery option for your account.


    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.  

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.