Active Microsoft 365 subscription purchased through Apple is not recognized on Mac or iPad; restore purchase fails

Chuanlong Zhang 0 Reputation points
2026-09-24T12:46:53.19+00:00

I have an active annual Microsoft 365 subscription purchased through Apple’s App Store. It appears as active in my Apple subscriptions and is scheduled to renew on August 8, 2027. However, Microsoft 365 apps are not recognizing it on either my MacBook or my iPad.

On my MacBook, the apps indicate that I do not have a subscription, even after I signed in with the Microsoft account I believe was associated with the purchase. I uninstalled the Microsoft apps, removed the Office-related certificate I had been advised to remove, reinstalled the apps, and signed in again. The issue remained.

On my iPad, Word also does not recognize the subscription. I used “Restore previous purchase” in Word, which is the app shown next to the active subscription in my Apple subscription list. The restore attempt displays “Something went wrong. Please try again later,” with “SK: unknownError” at the bottom of the error window.

Could someone help determine why this active Apple-billed subscription is not being recognized across my devices? In particular, how can I verify which Microsoft account the purchase is associated with, and how can the failed purchase restoration be resolved? I would also appreciate guidance on how to provide the error’s Session ID and proof of purchase privately to a support agent if needed.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | MacOS
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. SD - IA 180.4K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-24T16:07:52.2333333+00:00

    Thank you for the details.

    If nothing helps, see below to contact an agent:

    Sales and Support:

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/business/sales-support#

    Click Chat Now > Choose Personal.

    I look forward to hearing from you to get the results of the troubleshooting.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. SD - IA 180.4K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-24T13:27:21.02+00:00

    Hi,

    When you purchase from the Apple Store, it is linked to a Microsoft account. I hope you did purchase 365 Personal/Family since the basic subscription does not include apps.

    I signed in with the Microsoft account I believe was associated with the purchase

    I see that you have used the Word "Believe". Can you go to https://account.microsoft.com/services page and let me know if the account shows a linked 365 subscription?

    I look forward to hearing from you to get the results of the troubleshooting.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.