My Microsoft account was hacked and the attacker changed my security information — I need help recovering it

CraftBee21 0 Reputation points
2026-09-23T12:27:46.55+00:00

Hello Microsoft Support / Microsoft Community,

My Microsoft account ******@gmail.com was compromised, and I believe someone gained unauthorized access to it and changed the account's security information.

I am the original owner of ******@gmail.com, but I can no longer use my normal verification method because an email address that I do not recognize was added/used for verification.

The suspicious verification email appeared to be:

pe*****@notlettersmail.com

I previously saw what appeared to be the complete email address on Microsoft's verification screen, but I did not save it. I am trying to find that information again because I believe it could help identify the unauthorized security change.

I also have information connected to my Minecraft account that was used with this Microsoft account:

  • Microsoft account: [****@gmail.com]**
  • Minecraft username: CraftBeeYT
  • Minecraft UUID: 4ca63a20-8644-4bcc-8d50-0aed08c9b03f
  • Trimmed UUID: 4ca63a2086444bcc8d500aed8c9b03f
  • Minecraft account creation date: not available

I have already contacted Microsoft Support through live chat and received a support case number. I can provide the case number and the full suspicious email address privately to Microsoft Support if required.

I am not asking anyone to bypass Microsoft's security. I only want to prove that I am the original owner of ******@gmail.com and follow the correct official recovery process.

Could a Microsoft support representative please advise me on:

  1. How I can recover ******@gmail.com when I do not recognize the current verification email.
  2. Whether Microsoft can review the suspicious security email/address as part of my recovery case.
  3. Whether Microsoft can check the previous security information that was associated with the account before the unauthorized change.
  4. What additional legitimate ownership information I can provide to verify that [****@gmail.com]** belongs to me.
  5. Whether my existing Microsoft Support case can be continued instead of opening an unrelated new case.

I have additional legitimate information that I can provide privately through Microsoft's official support process.

Thank you for your help.Hello Microsoft Support / Microsoft Community,

My Microsoft account ******@gmail.com was compromised, and I believe someone gained unauthorized access to it and changed the account's security information.

I am the original owner of ******@gmail.com, but I can no longer use my normal verification method because an email address that I do not recognize was added/used for verification.

The suspicious verification email appeared to be:

pe*****@notlettersmail.com

I previously saw what appeared to be the complete email address on Microsoft's verification screen, but I did not save it. I am trying to find that information again because I believe it could help identify the unauthorized security change.

I also have information connected to my Minecraft account that was used with this Microsoft account:

  • Microsoft account: ******@gmail.com
  • Minecraft username: CraftBeeYT
  • Minecraft UUID: 4ca63a20-8644-4bcc-8d50-0aed08c9b03f
  • Trimmed UUID: 4ca63a2086444bcc8d500aed8c9b03f
  • Minecraft account creation date: not available

I have already contacted Microsoft Support through live chat and received a support case number. I can provide the case number and the full suspicious email address privately to Microsoft Support if required.

I am not asking anyone to bypass Microsoft's security. I only want to prove that I am the original owner of **@gmail.com] and follow the correct official recovery process.

Could a Microsoft support representative please advise me on:

  1. How I can recover **[****@gmail.com] when I do not recognize the current verification email.
  2. Whether Microsoft can review the suspicious security email/address as part of my recovery case.
  3. Whether Microsoft can check the previous security information that was associated with the account before the unauthorized change.
  4. What additional legitimate ownership information I can provide to verify that [****@gmail.com]** belongs to me.
  5. Whether my existing Microsoft Support case can be continued instead of opening an unrelated new case.

I have additional legitimate information that I can provide privately through Microsoft's official support process.

Thank you for your help.

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Defender | Microsoft Defender for Identity

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. AI answer

    2026-09-23T12:28:11.66+00:00

    Use the official Microsoft account recovery path only.

    1. Start with the hacked account flow in the sign-in helper tool. It asks for the email address or phone number and then either shows self-help steps or offers the chance to talk to an agent.
    2. If sign-in still fails, use the Microsoft account recovery form. Before submitting it:
      • Use a working email account that can receive updates about the recovery request.
      • Complete the form from a device previously used to sign in to the account, and from a familiar location such as home or office if possible.
      • Provide as much accurate account history as possible.
    3. If the account shows verification options that are not recognized and two-step verification was not enabled, use the Sign-in Helper first.
    4. If two-step verification was enabled and none of the alternate verification methods are accessible, Microsoft states support cannot help recover the account. Support agents are not allowed to send password reset links or access and change account details.
    5. If access is regained, immediately:
      • Run a full malware scan on the PC before changing the password.
      • Change or reset the password.
      • Review account settings such as connected accounts, forwarding, and automatic replies.
      • Check the Security basics page, review recent activity, and mark suspicious activity with This wasn't me or Secure your account.
    6. About the suspicious verification address and prior security info: Microsoft support content states support agents are not allowed to access and change account details or send password reset links. The supported path is the sign-in helper and recovery form.
    7. About the existing support case: the documented support path is to use Contact Microsoft Support or the sign-in helper, which can route to the best support option. No documented process is provided here for case continuation specifics.
    8. If Microsoft sends account-team emails during recovery, email from the @accountprotection.microsoft.com domain is safe to trust. Verification can be checked by confirming that domain and, if needed, reviewing message headers.

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.