Managed Redis Cache stuck at "Updating"

Bork 0 Reputation points
2026-09-23T06:55:05.84+00:00

I created a Managed Redis instance via Azure. I assigned access to an Azure user. Then I tried to remove their access.

In the Redis user list, it shows this user in the provisioning state of "Deleting". The whole database status is stuck at "Updating".

I don't want to remove it because it's in active use. I tried deleting the user's assignment again but it fails because the Redis server is updating. What can I do?

Azure Cache for Redis
Azure Cache for Redis

An Azure service that provides access to a secure, dedicated Redis cache, managed by Microsoft.

0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Maksood Ahmed 15 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-02T07:40:20.67+00:00

    Hello Bork,

    Since your Managed Redis instance is actively being used, do not delete or recreate the Redis instance.

    The problem appears to be with the access removal operation itself. The user assignment is still in Deleting state, while the database remains in Updating state. This also explains why another attempt to delete the assignment is being blocked.

    Please check the Activity Log for the Managed Redis resource and find the operation related to removing this user's access. If the operation failed, check the error details and note the correlation ID/request ID if one is provided.

    Also check Resource Health and Diagnose and solve problems for the Redis resource.

    I would avoid retrying the deletion repeatedly while the previous operation is still pending. If the user remains in Deleting and the database continues to stay in Updating with no operation progressing, the stuck operation will need further investigation through Azure Support.

    When raising the support request, include the Activity Log details, approximate time the deletion was initiated, region, current provisioning state, and correlation/request ID if available.

    You do not need to delete the Redis instance just to resolve the stuck user assignment.

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. Taz 10,126 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2026-09-23T20:02:53.79+00:00

    Hi Bork,

    Since the Redis instance is still Updating and the user assignment is stuck in Deleting, I would not delete or recreate the Redis instance.

    First, check Activity Log and Resource health for the Managed Redis resource. Microsoft provides both specifically for investigating resource-level operations and issues.

    If there is no pending/failed operation and the resource remains stuck, open Support + troubleshooting → New support request from the Redis resource and ask Microsoft to clear the stuck provisioning operation. This is a control-plane issue and cannot normally be fixed through Redis commands.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.