Azure for Students activation blocked — AADSTS16000, no directory, and account was recently compromised

Aniket Barun 0 Reputation points
2026-09-22T18:30:58.8033333+00:00

Hello Microsoft Azure Support / Community,

I am a university student trying to activate Azure for Students using my personal Microsoft account:

Microsoft account: ******@outlook.com University: PES University, India

I am currently unable to access Azure properly because my account is being placed in the Microsoft Services tenant, but no actual Azure/Entra directory or subscription is available.

In Azure Portal → Settings → Directories + subscriptions, I see:

Current directory: Microsoft Services

Directory ID: f8cdef31-a31e-4b4a-93e4-5f571e91255...

All Directories: No directories found

When attempting to access Azure, I receive:

AADSTS16000: User account from identity provider live.com does not exist in tenant Microsoft Services and cannot access the Azure Portal application in that tenant.

I have also received AADSTS50058 related to silent sign-in.

I tried signing out/signing back in and accessing Azure from different browser sessions, but the issue persists.

The problem is not limited to the Azure Portal. When I tried to access Help + Support to create a support request, the Support Portal itself returned another AADSTS16000 error. Therefore, I am unable to create an Azure support ticket through the portal.

I also noticed that the same Microsoft Services tenant appears when accessing Microsoft Engage Center, and the Directories + subscriptions page still shows No directories found.

There is also a security concern that may be relevant: a few days ago, this Microsoft account was compromised/hacked. I subsequently secured the account and recovered access. I am mentioning this because I am concerned that the previous compromise may have affected the account's Azure/tenant provisioning or account state.

Latest Azure Portal diagnostic information:

Trace ID: 7062752c-29b1-4b52-ac63-6e4753af0900 Correlation ID: c20371e9-2963-4f3e-b1e0-87f0dd486a78 Timestamp: 2026-09-22 18:20:48Z

Latest Support Portal diagnostic information:

Trace ID: 6481930b-aef2-4f73-8720-60de39df0900 Correlation ID: addf425f-fe54-47c0-9909-db671b944e30 Timestamp: 2026-09-22 18:24:45Z

Could someone from Microsoft please advise whether my Azure for Students subscription/tenant provisioning is stuck, or whether my account needs to be manually associated with/provisioned for an Azure/Entra tenant?

I can provide screenshots or additional information privately if required.

Thank you.

Azure Cloud Services
Azure Cloud Services

An Azure platform as a service offer that is used to deploy web and cloud applications.

0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Taz 10,126 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2026-09-23T20:06:33.0666667+00:00

    Hi Aniket,

    AADSTS16000 with the Microsoft Services tenant is a known behavior when a personal Microsoft account signs into Azure without an associated Entra directory. Microsoft Q&A guidance confirms that this tenant is restricted and does not provide normal Azure resource access.

    For Azure for Students, the important part is whether your student subscription was actually provisioned. If All Directories shows no directories and there is no Azure subscription, this does not look like a normal sign-in/cache issue.

    Since you also cannot open Help + Support, I would contact Azure Account/Billing Support outside the portal and provide the Trace ID, Correlation ID, timestamp, and your student verification details. Azure allows support requests for subscription/account issues, although portal submission requires appropriate subscription access.

    Also, because the account was recently compromised, mention that separately and complete Microsoft's account-security recovery steps. I would not create another Azure account or tenant until Microsoft confirms the status of the existing Azure for Students enrollment.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.