Started giving me blue/green/black screen.

Samir Neupane 0 Reputation points
2026-09-22T03:04:03.5466667+00:00

I have two questions:

  1. How is Windows 11 downloading and trying to install an update even though Windows Update is paused, or Windows Update is only supposed to start when I manually trigger it?
  2. Why does it keep asking me to restart my PC all the time even though I have everything turned off?

Main problem:

Windows 11 kept showing me annoying notifications about updates and to get rid of it, I eventually installed the 2026-09 Security Update (KB5129195) (26200.9457). I installed it on 9/20/2026 and now FPS drops are crazy, before in CS2: with medium settings, in premier or competitive match, around 200 FPS, now more likely below 100 or max it goes to 120 even tho CPU is most of time 100% and GPU is over 90% too.

Since installing this update, whenever I turn on my PC and try to use any application, for example any browser, my whole USB system sometimes freezes. My headset, mouse, keyboard, camera, etc. all stop working at the same time.

Then my screen becomes black, green, grey, or blue depending on which application I am using. For example, if I am using Brave, it is more likely to be a grey screen. If I am using Steam, it is usually a mix of black and blue.

The screen stays like that for more than 15 seconds, and then everything becomes normal again without me restarting the PC. After that, everything works fine.

But now I am also getting 100% disk usage almost all the time.

I only had around 17 GB free on my C: drive (after the update), where Windows 11 is installed, and after the update it eats storage after hitting that blue/black/grey screen thing.

I also have 16 GB of DDR4 RAM, and even when I have no applications open, Windows shows around 60–70% memory usage, this happens only after the crash too. However, when I check Task Manager, I can't see anything that explains where all that memory is being used.

I have already disabled everything I could since following this incident:

Microsoft Store Error: 0X80073CFE

So I mainly want to know:

  1. Why is Windows still downloading or trying to install updates when Windows Update is paused?
  2. Why does it keep asking me to restart my PC?
  3. Why did these freezing, USB, disk usage, and memory problems start after installing KB5129195 (26200.9457)?
  4. Is anyone else having the same problem after this update?

My personal opinion: this OS is lately a AI slop experiment, AI everything, AI in paint, AI in file explorer, make me understand: why people need AI in explorer? I heavily assume that it's just to train your AI models using people's personal files? (Just my personal opinion).

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Install and upgrade
0 comments No comments

Answer recommended by moderator
Samir Neupane 0 Reputation points
2026-09-25T03:04:11.44+00:00

I'm closing this with a few things I tried:

Swapped my GPU from a GTX 1660 to a GT 710, but it didn't fix the issue.

NVIDIA released driver 617.14 on September 22, but updating to it didn't help either.

Spent hours researching minidumps and crash logs, and eventually found that the NVIDIA video driver was crashing during OS initialization/startup.

Ran DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, but it didn't resolve the problem.

Uninstalled the Windows update that originally caused the issue, but the problem remained.

Tried various other troubleshooting steps, but nothing worked.

What actually fixed it: reinstalling the entire OS.

So, after everything I tried, the only thing that actually resolved the issue was a clean Windows installation.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

1 additional answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Kai-H 28,235 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-22T09:16:34.8833333+00:00

    Hi, Samir Neupane

    Pausing Windows Update does not cancel an update that was already downloaded or staged, so Windows may continue requesting a restart until that pending installation finishes. KB5129195 release notes document USB Audio Class 1.0 problems, but not the full combination of FPS loss, all-USB freezing, high disk usage, and colored screens, so the update may have exposed a graphics, chipset, storage, or firmware problem rather than being the only cause.

    Here are some suggestions you can try:

    Back up important files first. Then open Settings > Windows Update > Update history > Uninstall updates, remove KB5129195, and restart. If Windows returns to normal, pause updates temporarily and report the regression through Feedback Hub.

    If removal is unavailable, use System Restore and select a restore point dated before September 20.

    Download the latest GPU, motherboard chipset, USB, and storage drivers directly from the PC or motherboard manufacturer. For the graphics driver, choose its clean-install option rather than installing over the existing driver.

    Open Reliability Monitor by searching for “reliability history.” Check the crash time for Hardware error, Windows failure, or a named driver. Also check C:\Windows\Minidump.

    The issue is not currently listed as a confirmed general KB5129195 regression. Similar installation complaints exist, but that does not confirm the same fault on every PC.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.