A family of Microsoft products that enable users to capture, organize, and reuse notes electronically.
Would it be possible that all the notes are no longer available because the device I created them on no longer works?
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Hello,
I've been using OneNote for many years now and for some reason I am no longer able to access my OneNote notes.
I can create new ones and they do sync up with web or with android app with no issue.
But when I click to access a old note it loads up but stops with the following error message:
Sorry, something went wrong
Item does not exist. It may have been deleted by another user.
Technical Details
Troubleshoot issues with Microsoft SharePoint Foundation.
Correlation ID: [Moderator note: Personally Identifiable Information removed]
Date and Time: 9/21/2026 8:35:28 AM
I've reinstalled the app on my phone, I've relogged my accounts and now I no longer now what to try.
A family of Microsoft products that enable users to capture, organize, and reuse notes electronically.
Would it be possible that all the notes are no longer available because the device I created them on no longer works?
Hello,
Thank you for the additional information. I followed the suggested steps and found the following:
In the OneNote mobile app, I checked the notebook location and found a link to a d.docs.live.net address. When I open the link in a browser, I receive a message saying that I do not have access.
I could not find a File > Info option in OneNote for the web, so I was unable to copy the notebook address from there.
I signed in to OneDrive and confirmed that the notebooks appear to be located in my personal OneDrive directory. I use OneDrive and OneNote, but I do not believe I have ever used SharePoint separately.
The phone on which the notebooks were last synced is no longer available. It was accidentally lost while I was riding a motorcycle and was destroyed. Could the loss of that device affect access to the notebooks or prevent the server copy from synchronizing? I have since accessed the account through the OneDrive and OneNote websites several times.
I have also tried signing in from multiple web browsers and different phones, using the same personal Microsoft account, but the older notebooks still cannot be opened.
New notes continue to sync successfully, but the older notebooks consistently produce the “Item does not exist” error.
Since the notebooks appear to be stored in my personal OneDrive and I have never knowingly used SharePoint, could you please clarify why the error refers to SharePoint? More importantly, could you help determine whether the older notebooks still exist in OneDrive and whether they can be restored or recovered?
Dear Stefan Orø,
The error "The item does not exist. It may have been deleted by another user" typically occurs when SharePoint is unable to locate the file, folder, list item, or page being referenced. This can happen if the item was deleted, moved, renamed, or if the link being used is outdated.
In this case, I'd like to gather a bit more information to better understand the issue:
In the meantime, here are some troubleshooting steps I recommend you check:
Step 1: First, confirm whether the notebook still exists in OneDrive for Business or SharePoint Online. Open OneDrive on the web and look for the affected notebook. If the notebook is missing there, OneNote will not be able to open it.
Step 2: Next, try opening the notebook directly from OneDrive or SharePoint rather than from OneNote's recent list. Sometimes the cached notebook link points to an old location that no longer exists.
Step 3: You can also check whether the notebook was moved, renamed, or deleted
Step 4: Clear the OneNote app cache
Open Settings on your Android device > Go to Apps > OneNote > Storage > Tap Clear Cache > Reopen OneNote and try accessing the notebook again.
Step 5: Test on a different network
Switch between Wi‑Fi and mobile data. If your organization requires VPN access, ensure the VPN is connected.
If you have any questions or if I have misunderstood anything, please feel free to reach out. Looking forward to your update.
AI answer
Because new notes sync normally but older notes fail with a SharePoint error saying the item does not exist, the old notebook or page is likely no longer available at its original location, or there is an access problem with the notebook location.
Try these steps in order:
The key test is whether the old notebook opens in OneNote for the web. If it does not, this points to a missing notebook item, moved content, or SharePoint permission/server issues rather than an Android app problem.