Cache for Redis: Scaling from Standard C1 to C2 — HTTP 409 Conflict / Possible Backend Issue

Valeriu Florin Nitu 0 Reputation points
2026-09-17T08:10:00.2533333+00:00

Problem description

I am attempting to scale my Azure Cache for Redis instance from Standard C1 to C2. However, the operation fails repeatedly with an HTTP 409 Conflict, indicating the resource is busy processing a previous update or under maintenance. Despite this, the cache remains operational, and no resource locks are in place. Also, CLI does not report any update operation taking place. I am seeking guidance on resolving this conflict and successfully scaling the resource.

Environment

Azure Cache for Redis in West Europe, Standard C1 SKU

What I've already tried

I have tried to scale using both Azure Portal and CLI commands, including attempting to scale from Standard C1 to C2. I also verified that no resource locks are present and that the provisioning state is Succeeded. Additionally, I reviewed activity logs and resource state, and I confirmed that the operation path is supported and that the UI indicates supported versions.

Current status

Currently, the cache is operational and serving traffic, but the scale operation remains stuck with repeated HTTP 409 conflicts. I am looking for further troubleshooting steps or guidance to resolve this issue and complete the scale-up process.

Azure Cache for Redis
Azure Cache for Redis

An Azure service that provides access to a secure, dedicated Redis cache, managed by Microsoft.


1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. SIVASANKAR YEDDULA 250 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-22T14:26:34.04+00:00

    Hi @Valeriu Florin Nitu ,

    First and foremost, I would like to sincerely apologize for the extended duration of this issue and for the frustration caused throughout the investigation. I completely understand your concerns, especially considering that a scaling operation would normally be expected to complete within a much shorter timeframe. 

    I appreciate your patience and your efforts in continuing to work through the issue. I am glad to hear that you were ultimately able to successfully scale the Azure Cache for Redis instance to the desired tier.

     

    As you have confirmed that the scaling operation has completed successfully and no further assistance is currently required, we will proceed with closing this support case.

     

    On behalf of Microsoft, I would like to thank you for your cooperation and again apologize for the experience. Should you require any further assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. We will be happy to help.

     

    Thank you for working with Microsoft Support.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.