Sole Global Admin locked out of Microsoft 365 tenant, Authenticator MFA stranded on old phone, urgent

Kerry Owen 0 Reputation points
2026-09-10T13:19:22.29+00:00

I'm the sole Global Admin for a small UK business's Microsoft 365 tenant and I'm completely locked out. This is business critical.

My Microsoft Authenticator MFA was registered on a phone I no longer have. My current phone shows the work account only as a "connected account" (used for signing into apps like Outlook/Teams), it was never registered as a verification method, so there's no working code or push notification available to me at all.

I've tried the standard UK support lines (0800 026 0329 and 0344 800 6006), but these route to an automated system that opens an email ticket rather than reaching a live agent. I've replied to that ticket asking for urgent escalation to the Data Protection/Tenant Recovery team. I have no other admin on the tenant who can help.

Could someone point me to a faster way to get this actioned, or flag my ticket for the Data Protection team? I have billing details, domain ownership access, and company registration information ready to verify ownership.

Thanks in advance, this is urgent as it's blocking all admin access to our business email and Teams.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | MacOS
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Newest
  1. Demi Nguyen 2,410 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-10T13:41:22.5866667+00:00

    Please note: This is a user-to-user Community forum. No one here can access Microsoft’s backend systems, create a support ticket, or make changes to your account, tenant, or billing information. You must contact Microsoft Support directly, as only an authorized support agent can assist with these requests. 

    Hello Kerry Owen,

    Thank you for providing the update.

    If you have already received an email containing a support ticket or case number, this means that your request has been successfully recorded in the support system. A support agent will review and handle the case once it is assigned.

    Based on my experience, requests involving the Data Protection Team may require additional time because the team must follow specific security and ownership-verification procedures, and they may also be handling a high volume of requests.

    For now, I recommend allowing some time for the case to be assigned. Once a support agent contacts you, please continue working directly with that agent and provide the requested billing details, domain ownership information, and company registration documents through the private support channel.

    Thank you for your patience and understanding.

    Kind regards,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.