OneNote Quick Access Toolbar and Ribbon customizations don't work

Ellie Melloy 0 Reputation points
2026-04-13T16:01:54.8066667+00:00

This is on Windows 10 (Microsoft OneNote for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2603 Build 16.0.19822.20086) 64-bit) - it's the MS Store version, same as the one in Windows 11, I uninstalled the old Windows 10 version so I can use this one.

This is the exact issue:

I can temporarily customize the Quick Access Toolbar using the toolbar dropdown and it adds the buttons to the toolbar for the currently active OneNote window.

I then close and reopen all OneNote windows and it restores the default toolbar configuration. It does this even if I have just one window open and I close and reopen it.

I then try to customize the Quick Access Toolbar AND/OR the Ribbon using the OneNote settings dialog, but doing it this way doesn't even set the customizations for either after I close the dialog and apply the changes.

This is only failing to work properly on my personal laptop. On my Windows 11 work laptop (Microsoft OneNote for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2602 Build 16.0.19725.20126) 32-bit). OneNote remembers the toolbar and ribbon changes I make. It also remembered the changes on my work laptop with Windows 10, before it was upgraded to Windows 11.

After searching for similar issues, I have already tried:

  1. Changing the settings when there is only one OneNote window open.
  2. Changing the settings in the settings dialog rather than using the Customize Quick Access Toolbar dropdown.
  3. Resetting to default in the settings dialog.
  4. Doing 1-3 while OneNote is running as Administrator.
  5. Performing an app repair in Windows Settings.
  6. Performing an Online app repair in Windows Settings.

None of these methods have fixed the issue.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For business | Windows
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Ellie Melloy 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-24T14:18:08.2733333+00:00

    Revisiting this to provide an update in case anyone else has this issue.

    I had wondered if it was a subscription thing/limited features in the free version. Aside from being identical OneNote versions, my work laptop has a full Office licence but I have no subscription on my personal laptop.

    Also I was still using Windows 10 on my personal laptop, while work is Windows 11.

    Then last week I did a clean install of Windows 11. I figured a complete OS reinstall has got to fix it.

    But I got exactly the same behaviour, it still wouldn't save any quick access button customisations.

    I had installed a few other applications on my laptop prior to OneNote (Sandboxie, Windhawk, AutoHotkey, WindowManager, PowerToys) and they are all power utilities which I guess could cause the issue. So I made a clean Win 11 VM and installed OneNote. On that, the buttons could be customised, no issues.

    So I installed those same applications to see if they would break it. But it still worked properly.

    All the VM OneNote settings were identical to my laptop, so unsure why it worked in one and not the other. But at least I know it's not a subscription-only feature.

    Then for a different reason, on my laptop I was clicking around the toolbar and I changed the ribbon layout from 'Simplified Ribbon' to 'Classic Ribbon' and all the quick access buttons I had tried to configure previously just appeared. I could add and rearrange them, and they would all save, and persist after closing OneNote.

    It makes no sense. On my work laptop I use the simplified ribbon. The VM was the same. I switched them both to Classic and back to Simplified, and changed a few other layout options to try and break it, but they both worked without issues.

    But on my personal laptop, when I switch to Classic the buttons instantly appear, and if I switch to Simplified they instantly disappear.

    So my conclusion is it's got to be a random inconsistent OneNote bug. The inconsistency has no logical explanation apart from it being something internal to OneNote.

    I haven't got to the bottom of it, but at least there's a workaround for now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Hendrix-C 20,015 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-04-13T17:18:32.4666667+00:00

    Hi @Ellie Melloy,

    Thank you for your detailed sharing.

    Based on your information, I suspect the issue is likely because that the OneNote package settings data on your personal laptop is corrupted or not writable so that toolbar changes work only in the current windows and the options changes don't remain at all.

    For this situation, I suggest you can try these below steps:

    1/ Check for the OneNote Quick Access Toolbar settings file

    • Close all Office apps including OneNote
    • Press Windows + R to open Run dialog and input %appdata%\Microsoft\Office
    • Look for the file named OneNote.officeUI or similar and delete it to revert the toolbar settings to defaults
    • After that, try customizing your toolbar to see if the settings persist now.

    2/ Do a full reset instead of repair

    • You have already done Online Repair, but packaged app data is separate from the app installation so the Online Repair may not fully clear the corrupted settings data.
    • Go to Settings > Apps > OneNote > Advanced Options > select Reset this time
    • Try customizing your toolbar again to see if the settings persist now.

    Please understand that my initial response does not always resolve the issue immediately. However, you can try these steps and let me know if it works. If not, we can work together to find a solution.

    If you have any questions or need further assistance, please feel free to share them in the comments on this post so I can continue to support you.    

    Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. I'm looking forward to your reply.


    If the answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it.

    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.