Unable to connect Windows VM via RDP post patching though I get the prompt for creds and it doesn't get through

Kudtarkar, Prasanna 0 Reputation points
2025-09-15T05:18:03.8433333+00:00

After applying the Windows patch, I am unable to connect to the Windows 2019 server through RDP, even though I have set the prompt for credentials. Upon entering the credentials, the window displays 'configuring remote session,' and after a few minutes, I receive the message: 'The two computers couldn't connect in the amount of time allotted.'

Azure Virtual Machines
Azure Virtual Machines

An Azure service that is used to provision Windows and Linux virtual machines.

Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

Answer recommended by moderator
Kudtarkar, Prasanna 0 Reputation points
2025-09-16T04:16:15.38+00:00

Hi Henry,

I appreciate the recommendations. I attempted several workarounds and discovered an option for Send Non-Maskable Interrupt (NMI) in the serial console. I utilized this option, which forces the VM to reboot, and to my surprise, the remote connection was successful once the server came back online.

Was this answer helpful?

2 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. sachin kumar 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-29T06:38:27.9633333+00:00

    Microsoft releases emergency Windows updates to fix RDS failures

    This is due to Latest Patch released by Microsoft.

    to Fix the issue please installed the patch as per the windows os version

    here is the Resolution article.

    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-releases-emergency-windows-updates-to-fix-rds-failures/

    Was this answer helpful?

  2. Henry Mai 8,230 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-09-16T04:06:47.1433333+00:00

    Hello Prasanna, I am Henry and I'd like to share some insights regarding the issue. 

    Since the issue started immediately after patching, it’s almost always related to CredSSP / NLA changes. You’re already reaching the credential prompt, which means networking and RDP listener are fine — the failure happens during session setup.

    Step 1 – Client-Side Workaround (Most Common Fix)

    Run this on your local machine (as Admin PowerShell/Command Prompt): REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\CredSSP\Parameters /v AllowEncryptionOracle /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f

    This lowers the CredSSP enforcement level and usually restores connectivity.

    Try reconnecting. If it works, plan to patch both client and server properly and later reset/remove this key.


    Step 2 – Console Access to the VM

    If Step 1 fails, log into the VM via your cloud provider/virtualization console.

    Check Services: Remote Desktop Services (TermService) and dependencies are running.

    Check Event Viewer: Look under

    • Windows Logs > System (TermDD/TermService errors)
    • Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > TerminalServices-LocalSessionManager > Admin

    This will usually show why the session setup fails.


    Step 3 – Disable NLA Temporarily

    On the VM:

    • Right-click This PC > Properties > Remote settings.
    • Uncheck "Allow connections only from computers running Remote Desktop with NLA".
    • Apply, then retry RDP.
    • If this works, it’s an NLA/CredSSP mismatch. Re-enable after fixing.

    Step 4 – Rollback Problem Patch

    If nothing else works:

    • Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Installed updates.
    • Uninstall the most recent patch.
    • Reboot and retest RDP. (This restores access but weakens security until clients/servers are patched consistently.)

    I hope you’ll give my recommendation a try and let me know how it goes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments